TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Newbie needs tech help?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:03 pm 
80 cc

Hi all.
Will try and keep it simple.
Have DRZ400S '07' plate. Parked outside house on grass camber (Dec 15). High winds tipped bike over. Didn't notice until 12 hours later (in morning). Uprighted the bike, and left alone. Battery was already dead over winter months so never tried to start her up. Moved house and transported DRZ into a Luton Van. Fitted new battery today; bike turns over but will not fire up. Removed cowls, tank etc and checked plug. Appeared to be either fuely or oily; strongly suspect oil. Also, the thread is fuely/oily from electrode to about 10mm up the thread. Had no spare plug and motor factor shops were closed this afternoon (Saturday) so cleaned and refitted plug and tried again but still no joy.
Historically, this bike has always fired up after being left dormant for weeks/months so I suspect fault lies with the fact it was laying on it's right side for over 12 hours before being uprighted.

Any ideas what I should be checking before I trail it down to the local garage?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Newbie needs tech help?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:43 pm 
650 cc Monster

Side stand switch ?...it works like a kill switch, so if something got bent, it could be malfunctioning...pull the wires and try them together and then again seperated... Can't remember which way around they work...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:49 pm 
650 cc Monster

Oil in the combustion chamber.

Clean around spark plug, plug out (and earthed), big cloth over plug hole (make sure it can't get sucked in), spin engine over.

Put in new plug, run engine (might smoke a bit), then check oil level.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Take a look at this video to see how to isolate the clutch switch, note safety point that starter will operate without the clutch being disengaged so you must remember to pull the clutch lever in and check for neutral;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGp0tnu89cU

If you would prefer to keep the clutch switch then for test purposes 'short' the two cables together with a paperclip across the main loom connectors.

Side stand switch; (some naughty words :o );
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnEvxPtCA4U

Might well be worth removing and cleaning the carburettor plus the air filter as that could have been contaminated with oil when the bike was laying on it's side..

I would drain the petrol tank; remove the petrol tap and check for disturbed debris in the tank; the filter might need cleaning. Refill with fresh petrol, you can filter the old petrol and top up later after the engine has been started.

Whilst working on the bike, remove the battery; bench re-charge overnight, even though it is new.

Hope these comments help too.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:40 pm 
80 cc

Thanks gents for all your answers.

Will try all your suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]