TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First bike
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:18 am 
50 cc

Hi could do with some pointers in the right direction,I have been looking to buy a Ktm 250 exec-f in the £2000 to £3000 bracket but getting put off with the reviews I have been reading regarding the amount of maintaining work that they need doing,if it's only normal stuff like oils and fluids then I don't mind that but I don't want to be spending loads of time replacing Pistons valves rings etc I want something reliable to ride not work on all the time plus it's a 25ish mile road trip for me to get to the lanes so would this type of bike be ok for me or should I be looking at something less focused like a crf-l? The main put off when viewing bikes is that the ones I have seen look proper rough so it makes me think that if the seller can't be bothered to make the bike look half decent then what sate is the engine going to be in.i am not blinkered buy any make of bike just want a reliable one so I am open to suggestions from the people in the know

Post subject: Re: First bike
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:25 pm 
650 cc Monster

I'd go air-cooled, four-stroke and Japanese if I were you.

If you are doing a lot of road work then you want something with decent lights and indicators.

Yamaha TTR250 or Suzuki DR350S would fit the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:31 pm 
650 cc Monster

Your road mileage is certainly a consideration, but also consider the area you are planning to ride in, this could affect advice given.
The KTM will probably be lighter than other bikes so is this likely to be an issue, many people prefer the Yamaha 250 to the KTM partly due to the maintenance issues.
When I bought my KTM 400 is saw a lot of dogs before finding the one I bought so you just have to keep looking.

The Honda is going from one extreme to the other in the 250 bracket.

Best answer though is go to your local group meeting and talk to the people there as there is likely to be experience of the most common bikes within the group and somebody may even have what you need for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 pm 
50 cc

Thanks for the info will take it onboard , seen a very tidy drz400sm today with a spare set of off road wheels just wondering if the are any good only problem with it is that the lad says the speedo doesn't work with the off road wheels on

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:18 pm 
80 cc

The only thing I would say about buying a bike that looks rough,

I have no urge for my bike to look shiny and new, its got bumps and scrapes all over it. However, I keep it in tip top condition mechanically as I don't want to have any breakdowns while out enjoying it. So you may find some rough looking bikes may have been well looked after or maybe it's just mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:01 am 
650 cc Monster

Balou wrote:
Thanks for the info will take it onboard , seen a very tidy drz400sm today with a spare set of off road wheels just wondering if the are any good only problem with it is that the lad says the speedo doesn't work with the off road wheels on

That is going to be a personal decision due to the risks involved.
The DRZ is a heavier bike and most are only electric start, I would personally go for the "E" or "S", but not the "SM"
The "E" is an off road bike modified for the road, different Carb, plastic tank plus other changes, the "S" is a road bike capable of green laning.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:25 am 
125cc

I used an drz400 SM for greenlaning for a short period of time and didnt think it was very good. Firstly they are quite a heavy bike and it being an SM the suspension is too hard for offroad in my opinion.

DRZs are great bikes, i still have my SM for on the road, but for greenlaning i would only consider an E model but personally i think it would still be too heavy.

I ride around 35 miles to get to my most local green lanes and i now have a WR250F. Its not ideal doing that sort of road work, but as long as your not ringing its neck all the way then its ok. I gear it down abit to keep the revs as much as i can without spoiling its offroad capabilities

Hope this helps

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:29 am 
50 cc

Thanks for the feed back it's helped a lot going to keep looking and go down to the next West Yorkshire meeting to see what bikes are being used by the members as they will be in the same situation as me regarding the amount of road work that needs to be done to get to the dales

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:18 am 
50 cc

Thanks for all your advice,managed to pick this little baby up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:13 am 
650 cc Monster

Wow, that looks nice!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next