TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suzuki Djebel 200 suitable for 5ft 4 " old lady?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:24 pm 
80 cc

Advice please.
Is a Suzuki Djebel 200 a good bike for a 5ft 4" (in my boots) 50+ lady to try green landing on?
there is one at a dealer for £1500. He'll MOT it. I don't have a trailer but there are quite a few lanes to ride around here.
If I get it is there anyone near Kendal, Cumbria who would let me ride with them? I have a bit of experience. ...not much but I'm not a complete novice.
And how hard should the suspension be as it seemed a rather bouncy?
Thank you

I never said I was normal.

Post subject: Re: Suzuki Djebel 200 suitable for 5ft 4 " old lady?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:04 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Welcome from the Manchester Group.

You can get some details of the bike's specifications from the following website;

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... l%2092.htm

I think that they were a derivative of the DR250 and being a Suzuki should be ok but each of us looks for something different in our choice of bike :shock: and the individual bike of the marque depends upon its history :idea:

Your best bet is not to rush into anything but to contact your local Group and see what local advice they can give you. Check out the Group listing and make contact, I am sure that they will make you welcome;

http://www.trf.org.uk/find-your-regional-group/

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:59 pm 
80 cc

So..do I just ring this guy up?
I can't see any other way to contact him/them. Is there a way to chat with the local area guys?
I looked at the info about the suzuki. ...I honestly have no idea what any of thst means. Is 200cc powerful enough?
Is it too small? I can't even reach the ground on some of these bikes but maybe this one is too small.

I never said I was normal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:10 pm 
125cc

I would strongly recommend you don't buy a bike without seeing/sitting on it and trying it for size, I've bought quite a few on impulse and regretted it soon after. My daughter is an couple of inches taller than you and she is managing really well on a Serow.

As for the local TRF group, some prefer email contact, some telephone, some just want to meet you face to face, if all you've got is a telephone number just give them a call, I guarantee that whatever you ask or say will have been asked/said hundreds of times before....just do it!

Richard (West Yorks TRF)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:10 am 
300 cc

crazybikerlady wrote:
So..do I just ring this guy up?
I can't see any other way to contact him/them. Is there a way to chat with the local area guys?
I looked at the info about the suzuki. ...I honestly have no idea what any of thst means. Is 200cc powerful enough?
Is it too small? I can't even reach the ground on some of these bikes but maybe this one is too small.

200 cc is plenty powerful enough. There are other alternatives for the money too. The serow is only 108 kg dry & would fit you. Other newer stuff on the market too.

Honda CRF250X (2005) gone
KTM 690 Enduro (2010) gone
Yamaha XT 225 Serow (1992) gone
Yamaha XT600E Ethiopia-South Africa-Ethiopia 1995-96, K428OMW- I'll buy it back if it's still out there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:09 am 
650 cc Monster

One thing I found when I started at the ripe old age of 55 is that I don't think anyone has a clue what they want or how good/mediocre they are going to be and, if I had my time again, I would buy something inexpensive (not cheap) and use that as a starter bike for a year.
Once you get some experience, you will know if you want more power, more height, less height, more comfort etc etc and then you can start looking for the 'bike for you'.

You seem to be going in the right direction but I definitely wouldn't buy anything unseen or unsat on, particularly in this type of market.
My WR450 looked a bit 'used' but, on the whole was very reliable but I never fell in love with it. I'm also a bit impetuous but tend to get away with it.
My nephew bought one that was a good looker but he had problems the whole 3 years he owned it so it can be a bit of a minefield.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:42 am 
400 cc

Go and try the 200 out and how you feel riding it.

Hereford Chairman

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]