TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Washing gear
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 am 
125cc

Hi, my motorcycle trousers are very muddy from a recent recce of a new play area and I need to get them cleaned but I am not allowed to put them in the washing machine.

I was wondering where to take them to wash? A laundrette? Will they be allowed? What do ya'll normally do?

Post subject: Re: Washing gear
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 am 
300 cc

Jet wash them(not while wearing) :lol: to remove the worst of the crud then put them in the home washing machine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:56 am 
400 cc

They all say don't put em in machine but I have never had problems.
Please seek advice from your spouse before undertaking such a highly technical task of operating such a machine,or apply for the in depth training washing machine diploma course.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:26 pm 
125cc

lol I don't have a spouse! Just a mum. I will see if I can get the worst of the mud off and then ask her to wash them or take them to a laundrette. Thanks fellas :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:51 pm 
300 cc

Flynn in your younger days your Mum will have washed a lot worse than mud from your pants :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:48 pm 
125cc

Nope, she's funny about the washing machine.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

Next time you go for a ride make certain it's raining that gets the mud off or get your mother to jet wash you from a distance while wearing everything. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:36 pm 
650 cc Monster

NEVER LET A WOMAN WASH YOUR TRAIL RIDING GEAR.

Seriously...it ends up as very expensive rags after being boiled in bleach or whatever it is they do.

First read the washing instructions...on the label. Ordinary washing powders kill most waterproofing dead, as do fabric conditioners. You may need to buy some NixWax (camping, farm or outdoor shop) or soap flakes.

Do a prerinse if they are really bad. This entails filling two buckets with cold water. Put the garment in the first one, plunge up and down a few times. Then transfer to the second while you change the water in the first, and repeat until the worst of the mud is off.

Then prepare the washing machine. Make sure it is set to the correct temperature and all the horrible crud is removed from the soap tray...which will probably mean pulling it out and washing it.

Then transfer the trousers from the bucket to the machine...without dripping muddy water on the floor.

Wash as per the garment and washing product instructions. When finished put the trousers in a clean bucket and take outside to line dry if you can't tumble them (check the garment instructions again).

Switch the now empty washing machine to 'rinse' to make sure it is completely clean.

Your mum will be dead impressed.

If you want her to be even more impressed, join the army then buy yourself out as soon as they have taught you to iron the army way.

Or, do what I did and find yourself a houseshare with an ex-RCT corporal, and get him to teach you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:04 pm 
200 cc

Jetwash them to get the worst of the crud off and put them in the washing machine without telling mum. What she don't know won't hurt her :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:35 pm 
125cc

Great advice the both of you :mrgreen:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]