TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: What's a good bike to learn on
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:00 pm 
300 cc

Two strokes are easier to ride in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: What's a good bike to learn on
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:14 am 
80 cc

Ady Smith or similar is the best way to see what bike to buy once you know you like it, but to see if you even like trail riding then a hired bike from people who specifically cater for beginners and actually get out somewhere rather than just riding round an Enduro course is the best way to go. I'd recommend any of Trail Ride UK, Trailride Wales or the Yamaha Enduro experience (despite it's name - the real beginner stuff they do is closer to trail riding than Enduro!) - those are all mid wales but there are others.

Don't even think about going out alone on trails till you're really experienced and even then it's pretty stupid, the most reliable bike in the world will let you down eventually, but you'll probably fall off it first and be unable to go on, or even push it. If you really must, make sure your phone is fully charged and in your breast pocket so you can still get to it if you're trapped under the bike with a broken arm and never go in water more than a few inches deep. My G/F almost drowned under a TTR250 in a dried up riverbed where she managed to fall into the only bit of water in the entire thing big enough to get a person into! Luckily we noticed she'd gone missing from the back of the ride and got back to her just in time. It really isn't a good idea though.

If you really feel you have to go alone then maybe MX practice days would be better for you, lots of people enjoy them and there will always be loads of people around to help out if something goes wrong. There are tracks all over the place doing this for around £25/day and you don't have to be road legal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 am 
80 cc

Also Enduro practice days - £35 or so and somewhere between an MX track and trail riding. 3-5 mile course, still lots of people around if it goes wrong but more variety than MX, track more like a green lane than a prepared dirt surface, much more natural, much less pressure to go fast, not so much chance of people doing racing passes up the inside going into corners...still no need to be road legal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:58 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I do not know where you live but may I mention a couple of riding 'schools', the Principals of which are also long term members of the TRF, and offer personalised trail riding services using one of their bikes or your own bike actually out on the lanes so that you get a real feel for our hobby;

Contact Rob Dixon - Shropshire
http://www.adventureride.co.uk/index.html

Contact Boyd Emmerich - Peak District
http://www.adventureride.co.uk/index.html

For riding in the Peak District you might also want to have a look on the Association of Peak Trail Riders website for biker friendly business;
http://peaktrailriders.co.uk/index.php/ ... dly-places

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2