TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: WR250R cooling fan electrical problem -HELP
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:39 pm 
80 cc

Sorry, got the photos but don't know how to attach, do I need permission to do it?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:47 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

You name in the 'author' box is coloured black which indicates that your membership has not progressed and so you will only be allowed to visit items in the Public section with restricted access.

I presume that you have applied for Membership, which takes a little while bearing in mind that all of the day to day jobs are undertaken by volunteers.

As soon as your membership is complete you can add photos and files. You will know when this happens as your name changes colour to brown.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:12 pm 
80 cc

Thanks, yes I joined about Dec 28th. I have the membership card.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:40 pm 
650 cc Monster

Ok, two things then;

1. I think that you might need to contact the membership secretary and ask that your status be checked

2. how to attach files and photos depends I think upon your computer - I am using a MacBook Air so your method might be slightly different say on a Windows machine

a. add your photo or file to your computer
b. click add post as you have so far
c. type your message
d. go to the section which says "Upload attachment" and click 'Choose File'; you will be asked to select your photos; the name of the file will appear in the box which currently says 'no file selected'; click add the file; a little box will appear showing progress; when that finishes you will have the choice to add the file or 'place it into the text'.
e. To place the photo into the text move your curser to the point you want the file to be positioned and then click 'place it into the text'.
f. most times the original size of the photo is too large for the normal screen so you may have to resize it, I do this as a percentage of the original e.g. 50%.

Best I can do, unless somebody can give you improved advice ;)

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:13 pm 
80 cc

Had a day working on the bike –I managed to find out the green plug is the CTS (cooling temp sensor) so I tried reading the resistance in a frying pan as I heated it up, it started at 2.3K during the first 2 sessions it threw a wobbly at 540ohms and second attempt at 375ohms, thereafter it performed without a problem for another 5 sessions.

Thought it may be ok so put it back in and ran the bike – same problem ECU light with fan on, fan turned off with engine off but ignition on. :twisted:

Performed another test, with the CTS out of the engine and ignition on engine OFF-- I heated it with a lighter and the fan came on with NO ECU LIGHT (as its supposed to do) :D

So that’s as far as I have got, any ideas why it works fine out of the engine – could it be an earthing problem, is it earthed when in the engine or would a short cause this or is it supposed to be insulated when in situ and it isnt??

Ps spoke to Debbie (membership Sec) who is checking my membership.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:26 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Am I correct in thinking that the connection block to the CTS has two leads to it, one will be a feed into the resistor and the other will take a variable voltage signal to the ECU as the internal resistance of the CTS alters. You say that with the CTS removed from the engine the coolant fan operates when the CTS is heated by an external source? This I think would mean that the CTS is not physically connected to the engine and therefore it can not connect to earth through its body - but once you fit the CTS to the engine then the system fails. Perhaps the CTS is leaking current internally and so an incorrect voltage is being passed to the ECU as it leaks to earth. Try connecting an ohmmeter to the input terminal of the CTS and to the body of the CTS, I think that there should be high resistance even if external heat is applied, if however the resistance drops then there would be an internal voltage leakage.

I go back to your original fault with corrosion at the relay and so I am also wondering if the fan relay could be at fault in that the feed to the motor, whilst still powering the fan, is also finding its way past the 'one way valve' diode in the relay and sending a back feed in reverse direction to the ECU. I know that you swapped the headlight relay but internally electrically they may not be identical even though they look the same on the wiring diagram.

Where do live? I am in Romiley, Stockport.

Let me know how you get on.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:01 pm 
80 cc

Hi, thanks for that, I will try tomorrow to see if there is a current leak. When I swopped the relays they both behaved as each other in their respective positions so I would have thought they are ok.

I assume that when the CTS is in the engine it is earthing so I can't quite fathom it out unless as you say you think it's leaking, is it worth just ordering a CTS (none in the UK,was told it will take a couple of weeks) as that appears to be where the problem could be as I could always sell on eBay if not.

I may give that guy you mentioned a call also.
I live just outside Hereford so quite a way.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:03 pm 
80 cc

Tried measuring for internal elec leak whilst heating up CTS but couldn't find one, spoke to Owen at Manch Ex and he thinks that I should change the CTS and if not that then go over earths, so a new CTS is on the way.

Gonna try and find where all the earths are - could be a problem locating them unless anybody knows where to start looking.

Will report further. :|

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:16 pm 
125cc

Have you tried asking on here?
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

Your local car accessory shop should be able to supply or make a simple earth lead for you.

I would simply connect the extra lead under an engine/frame through bolt and run it up to where the battery earth lead connects to the frame. Make sure that you have 'bright' metal touching to reduce possible high resistance, coat connectors externally when secure to try and prevent corrosion. I use 'copperslip' on the thread of the securing bolts.

Always disconnect your battery earth lead first and re-connect it last if removing/fitting a battery. It might be an idea to remove the battery for recharging on the bench while you wait for the next CTS to arrive.

The 'new' battery chargers such as Optimate are best value in my view and they can be left connected indefinitely to fully charge/test. I have an extra connector lead permanently fitted to my two batteries and leave the bikes on charge for a couple of days after use and before the next run out.

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next