TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: BETA ALP 4.0 - a trailbike
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:35 pm 
80 cc

Many thanks Hugh. First time I tried to order caliper on Lampkins website, price quoted was £143. When I looked yesterday, after previous post, price was £2.43 (p/no. 2503049000)! Very helpful Richard confirmed price would be somewhere in between - £110 + VAT, and is ordering caliper in. As it includes pads, this is perhaps not as painful as I thought.

I'm not that mechanical and keen to get Alp back on the trail, so I'll bite the bullet and have new. Your generous offer is much appreciated.
regards,

Rob

PS anyone else need copy of parts or manual in PDF form, let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:57 pm 
650 cc Monster

Rob,

Hope all goes well with the new part/s. Might I suggest that you replace the seals in the master cylinder at the same time, plus new fluid, as you are going to have to bleed the system too. Easy to do once you remove the circlip holding the piston in the cylinder body, coat the bore and seals with fresh fluid before assembly. At least you will know that the front brake is fully operational and improve confidence in the bike and your riding too.

After applying anti seize grease to the bolts I lock wire my caliper plate securing bolts.

Attachment:
Beta caliper lockwire.jpg
Beta caliper lockwire.jpg [ 311.76 KiB | Viewed 10862 times ]

Please do not throw the old parts in the bin as we might be able to salvage them one day.

TTFN

Hugh.

Last edited by Hugh Cleary on Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:37 pm 
80 cc

Thanks Hugh. Was planning to treat the brakes to new fluid - no expense spared! Will look a seals.

Also need new seals for front forks, very slight weep but will get to that. Will keep old parts.
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

Rob,

Folk seals are easy on the Beta, as like the Serow, they are conventional with no fancy valves to worry about.

Take a look at this video which I think is quite good; http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=for ... 50&fsscr=0

The allen headed piston securing bolts can sometimes be a little difficult to release if somebody has previously overtightened them or applied too much lock fluid. If the bolt spins but does not loosen you can add pressure to the piston assembly to stop it turning by using a broom handle pushed inside the stanchion whilst trying to unscrew the allen head bolt (you might need an assistant to push whilst you turn). Scrape any dirt out of the hex and use a good quality allen key at full depth so as not to damage the faces of the bolt. If the bolts will not release for whatever reason I have easily but carefully drilled the head off the bolts and removed the 'stud' effect once the piston is out. I have never used the blow torch as shown in the video as the bolt would be seized into the piston and not the fork leg :roll:

New bushes and seals are not expensive but add full length gaiters to protect the stanchions from impact with stones and they keep seals and dust seal from a build up of sand and/or dirt.

I would also clean, inspect and grease the headstock bearings whilst you have most of the front end out :lol:

Might add an extra two hours or so to the brake job in hand but it would be well worth the effort to improve; serviceability; performance and reliability.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:42 pm 
80 cc

Thanks Hugh. You should be making videos & posting on Youtube!
Just waiting for parts.
Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:08 pm 
50 cc

where can I get a bash plate for this beta alp 4.0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:03 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I bought mine through eBay but it would appear that the German company is no longer trading.

I followed Jonny's thread using this link; http://www.crosspro.pt/index.php?lingua=en&proprios=0

Crosspro are still very much in business so perhaps an enquiry direct to them might be your best way forward; http://www.crosspro.pt/nm_quemsomos.php?id=13

The product is of very high quality and no doubt has saved my engine quite a few times. I had to modify it very slightly because of wear in the footbrake lever bush which allowed the pedal to contact the side.

Hope these comments help.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Just to give you an update on the rear brake modification I had been thinking about.

Attached is a photo of the brake anchor plate, caliper, etc, which I have had modified in the hope of preventing the inner brake pad simply dropping out as the friction material wears.

You can just see brake pad backing plate coloured white, with plenty of pad material left, yet the pad is close to falling out.

Attachment:
anchor plate 2.jpg
anchor plate 2.jpg [ 705.95 KiB | Viewed 10297 times ]

I had a friend machine 2mm off the bearing/seal spigot, coloured blue arrow, so as to move the plate closer to the disc whilst still maintaining a clearance to the head of the brake disc retaining bolt heads, red arrow. He then made a new longer distance piece to add the thickness equivalent removed from the spacer, arrowed green. I think that we could have taken 3 or even 4 mm off and still have clearance but you would need to measure the clearance on your bike.

The shape of the section into which the pad sits was worn so he built the ‘ears’ up with weld and filed it to fit. This actually pushed the pad up a little higher so I had to file just a little off the top of the backing material.

Hopefully this might ensure that I can get more service wear life from the brake pad.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings Beta Alp lovers everywhere,

Yesterday, whilst out my bike suddenly decided to waterproof itself and my left leg with engine oil, as you know a small amount covers a great expanse and so it looked quite serious at first. The oil is contained (under normal circumstances :shock: ) in the frame and the level was still within limits, no actual leak could be seen even after throwing a load of sandy dust over the engine and various under tank locations.

As I rode on I suddenly noted what looked like a spark from the breather pipe to frame, it was of course engine oil :!: . The pipe was taut so thinking that there might be a small hole or crack in it I could do nothing about it but ride home, en route stopping off to power wash the bike, my boots and over trousers :lol: .

Attachment:
breather.jpg
breather.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 9987 times ]

Today, I took the petrol tank off to gain access to the breather pipe, which simply is a 7mm 'rubber' pipe, which locates between the frame fitting banjo and the breather outlet stub from behind the exhaust valve rocker cover. A slightly longer pipe, about 34cm long, has now been fitted so that if in time something similar happens again then there will be enough length to cut 10mm off and still reconnect :roll:

Attachment:
pipe.jpg
pipe.jpg [ 180.53 KiB | Viewed 9987 times ]

Apologies to you photographers out there but with a Joel the best that I could do :oops:

Whilst cleaning up the oil residue I noted that three of the four wires in the connector block, previously hidden from view, had started to show bare core strands, so a potential future problem waiting to happen. I have fitted new waterproof connectors so all should be well now.

The point of this post is simply to warn others of two potential weak points in what is normally a reliable machine.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:49 am 
125cc

Glad it was easily fixed.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7