TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Bike Rack, Trailer or Van!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:41 pm 
50 cc

Ok so just picked up my new bike and have some issues or choices to make with how to get it from A to B.

Option one a Bike Rack

They sell them here for £70 http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks

Anyone use one and how do you get on with it? I have a golf that it would need to fit on.

Option two bike trailer

Again you can get them from above and other places, the issue with a trailer is no where to really keep it so it would have to be the one that comes apart. I use to have a 3 bike trailer for motocross and they are good but where I am now, no where to really keep it.

Option three get a van

swap my golf for a van, the car has done 163k mile but is in good nick and I have spent a lot keeping it in good nick, I will not get much of a van for the car about £4ks worth a most.

How do you guys get your bikes about and does anyone have experience with option one?

Post subject: Re: Bike Rack, Trailer or Van!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:50 pm 
80 cc

I ride my bike to places

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:58 pm 
50 cc

Another option but I will also be doing enduro and motocross so need to carry quite a bit of stuff, and some of the rides are quite far away. Is that how most people get to places?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:04 pm 
400 cc

Van

Tried the trailer route first. Then got a van. All your kit and bike hidden away. Somewhere to change/sleep if on camping trip. Often van can be used for home stuff.

Towbar carrier is only good for the likes of landrover as most vehicles have a 75kg nose weight limit.

Post subject: Bike Rack, Trailer or Van!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:08 pm 
80 cc

I don't know a whole lot but the racks you are talking about will be no good for your golf as the tow ball nose weight will prob be around 70kg, so factoring in the weight of the bike(wet) and the rack it's self you will well over, I've been looking at these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/181970062913 don't know how good they are but interested in hearing from someone who has one. As for Van not an option for me with 3 kids and a wife but that may not be a factor in your case.

FORMALLY djf1978

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:59 pm 
200 cc

Ive got one of them Dave Cooper collapsible trailers, bought mine 2nd hand so not had from new. I don't have a garage, share a space between my neighbours house that we covered over and put front and back gates on.
I only need to remove the rear section to store it (3 bolts) and I can manhandle it that way as well. If you buy one buy the ramp as well. Defiantly recommend it as a trailer.

Though I would prefer a van :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 am 
400 cc

Paul13 wrote:
Van

Tried the trailer route first. Then got a van. All your kit and bike hidden away. Somewhere to change/sleep if on camping trip. Often van can be used for home stuff.

Towbar carrier is only good for the likes of landrover as most vehicles have a 75kg nose weight limit.

Van all the way, so easy & has many other uses too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:47 am 

Van if you can afford it.

Trailer if you don't want the cost of tax,insurance etc every year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:09 pm 
300 cc

£100 for a towbar, then a trailer.
Plenty about on Gumtree/eBay etc.

Think about collapsible, but if you have a pal who's handy with a welder, tack on a couple of outriggers on one side so you can store the trailer on it's side - doesn't take up as much space. If you do this, cover up the (top) wheel so water doesn't sit in the wheel rim and rust it away (don't ask how I found out about this!)

As has been said, a rack will be useless on a Golf.

I have a trailer, bought for £80 from eBay. Home made, agricultural, big and strong. 10" wheels so taking 2 bikes on it isn't a problem. Likewise decent tyres if you want to tow at twice the legal limit.

I am 90% down the road of getting a "van" though.
The trailer is good, but I load up the night before an outing, and I don't like leaving the bike (covered & locked) on a trailer overnight. Legal speed 50/60mph is a downside sometimes, as is loading in the pouring rain.
Van speed limits are generally the same as a trailer.
I am getting a disabled converted vehicle (a Fiat Doblo - yes, I know!!!) so I can just push the bike up the ramp into the car. As it is classed as a car, normal speed limits apply. It has 4 seats, will take Builders Bags of rubbish to the tip without having tickets. Dynamically, obviously, it is crap! It has no street cred, but neither did the beige Mondeo it will replace. Luckily for me, it is a "second" car, that will just be used for knocking about, tip trips and bike transport. It's big enough to get changed in too, although, with having windows, it isn't private - until I get some drug-dealer glass film on it.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:09 pm 
400 cc

KentWR wrote:
Van if you can afford it.

Trailer if you don't want the cost of tax,insurance etc every year.

Can't beat a Van though, i use my Hiace more than my 4x4, as it's nice to drive and useful to shove all manner of stuff in the back

Had it 13 years now and wouldn't be without it

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next