TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Which gps system is best and why
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:42 pm 
125cc

I've has my Satmap for around 5 years, and it's been very good. As above, the screen is hard to see in really bright sunlight, but the trick is to keep inner and outer screens scratch free. Problem being, if water is forced between the screens, the fine mud particles grind scratches in both screens. Another minor annoyance, is when in 'trail ponting up' mode, and you are stationary, the screen manically rotates as it keeps trying to calculate which direction you are moving in, so orientation is nearly impossible to work out! The only solution is to briefly set it to 'North pointing up'.
After 5 years+ of R&D, all they have come up with is the Active 12, which is just a slightly better version of the Active 10. I'm very surprised that they haven't developed a new unit, with an easy to see screen on a par with the Garmin. Come on Satmap, you're out of the game, technology moves on VERY fast!
There should be a lot of cheap Active 10's on Ebay, as people move to Garmin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:14 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for the replies . I have now bought a Montana 600 and a ram mount . All I need to get now is a cradle . Do you guys use a normal cradle or a powered one connected to the battery or is unit power enough for a typical day

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:27 pm 
300 cc

It should last most of the day on it's own battery , but I have gone for the bike mount wired direct to your bike battery, and works excellent no messing around charging the device after each time you use it ,

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:57 pm 
300 cc

Sooooo tempted by that Montana price, I was going to get one this afternoon.

Tooooo late was the cry - none left!

Bugger - Now I'll have to spend the money on something else (good thing I didn't tell the wife!!)

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:04 pm 
80 cc

I must have the last one

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 pm 
300 cc

2fattoofalloff wrote:
I must have the last one

You could have waited for a few more hours - I was going to go to Go Outdoors and get one with their Price Guarantee and get it 10% cheaper!
Don't call me a cheapskate for nothing you know!
Looks like I'll be sticking with Viewranger (and a DAB radio for the car, but don't tell the wife!!).
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:02 pm 
80 cc

Lol , already tried that one but go outdoors can't seem to find it for sale at the price I bought it for , so won't honour it even though I've given a receipt to prove I bought it for that amount .

I am a cheap skate too

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:38 pm 
400 cc

Get the powered mount,and connect direct to battery.
I also added a toggle switch on the bars,so I can turn off the charging when not needed.No point charging battery constantly.
You can if you want stop and take it out of the cradle and put the rubber cover over the terminals,but it takes too long and bit of a faf to do that.
Mounted mine tucked down behind the bars out of the way of any wayward branches,and don't forget to tighten the torx locking screw and attach a lanyard.

If you want too use it in your car as well you have too also buy the speaker mount.You can then hear the voice prompts for road sat nav through it.

Hereford Chairman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:34 pm 
50 cc

HI,

I managed to get a Montana 600 for under £250. on ebay [No Maps] Then bought all of GB os maps £30 and then Euro Cities £50
Ram brackets and mounts off ebay too.

Very pleased with it easy to use and plenty of bargains can be found if in no rush. Universal with Marine too.

Good Luck
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 pm 
80 cc

Wow I did get a good deal then as I paid 298 on millets with full uk mapping and full OS maps .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next