TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Modifying your Honda CRF250L for the trail
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:12 pm 
80 cc

skov wrote:
Has anyone found a reasonably priced folding tip rear brake lever yet?
Managed to bend my OEM one riding through a particularly nasty rut today.

I fitted a GOOD one, and it is reasonably priced, but not cheap.
But what's a reasonable price for a part that works properly and never needs to be replaced again?
In fact I have these on my CRF250L and CRF450XRL. I also have the folding gear lever because a very deep rut bent mine 180 degrees, same as gear lever.

Brake lever only:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Racefx-Re ... 27f5640de8

Brake and gear lever:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Racefx-Re ... 27f67f8916

The seller's good and prompt.
(I am not affiliated with motoxmatrix, and I am sure there are other sellers out there.)

Good luck.
Ed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:25 pm 
80 cc

Ed_Baker wrote:

I fitted a GOOD one, and it is reasonably priced, but not cheap.
But what's a reasonable price for a part that works properly and never needs to be replaced again?
In fact I have these on my CRF250L and CRF450XRL. I also have the folding gear lever because a very deep rut bent mine 180 degrees, same as gear lever.

Brake lever only:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Racefx-Re ... 27f5640de8

Brake and gear lever:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Racefx-Re ... 27f67f8916

The seller's good and prompt.
(I am not affiliated with motoxmatrix, and I am sure there are other sellers out there.)

Good luck.
Ed.

Thanks for that Ed.
I've already got the RFX gear lever, but did balk at the price of the brake lever.
I probably should stop trying to save a few quid and just buy it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:12 pm 
80 cc

[quote="skov]
I probably should stop trying to save a few quid and just buy it![/quote]
[/quote]

Price and cost are not the same thing. If you buy cheap but buy twice then you may have just as well bought the best kit in the first place.

And anyway, the genuine Honda part is about £52 delivered, and it isn't very good. The RFX part is 'better' (well, it's a better part that's less likely to snag and hence break, but because it's alloy I suspect that if it DID snag it would snap rather than bend, so if it breaks you're unlikely to be able to bend it straight again with a rock and a screwdriver out on the trail - you pay your money and take your choice) and it's cheaper.

It's only an opinion but I think you're better off with the RFX one. The "brake snake" works OK too, but beware - it's a 10.5mm hole intended for an M10 bolt, which is hard to mount. I have the Ad-Tek sump guard (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CRF250L ... 3f45126245) which can be drilled and bolted to, but get yourself an M10 x 25 stainless bolt, washers and nyloc nut.

A word of warning if I may though - if your brake lever is getting damaged, how far off being damaged is your oil pump cover? I suggest you and all other CRF250L owners ensure that your oil pump cover is protected.

So, enough preaching from me, and good luck. Here endeth the lesson. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:47 am 
125cc

Has anyone got any photos of a fully trail ready crf 250 l ? I'm intrigued, as they are really the modern day XR it's just a shame they need so much doing to them. I know its been said before but the XR is pretty much ready for the trail straight away. Folding tip brake and gear change, suspension ok roughly 20kg lighter etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:11 am 
80 cc

Joe110 wrote:
Has anyone got any photos of a fully trail ready crf 250 l ? I'm intrigued, as they are really the modern day XR it's just a shame they need so much doing to them. I know its been said before but the XR is pretty much ready for the trail straight away. Folding tip brake and gear change, suspension ok roughly 20kg lighter etc etc.

I have quite a few pics of mine (trail ready) on eBay. I don't think they need that much doing to them - bash plate is the key thing for me, but you can get away with leaving the rest stock (after fixing the tyres heheh)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:05 pm 
80 cc

Joe110 wrote:

Here's the TBM CRF-L for you Joe, next to John Vannuffel's KTM690R before the two were ridden coast-to-coast, Kent to North Wales, last year. And the CRF went everywhere the 690 did. As said before, a sump guard is probably all you need to get started. We got a little more involved, but even then the mods cost less then £400, tyres included. Bash plate is the first priority. An Adtek sump guard is an excellent bit of kit. Tyres are a matter of preference – Michelin AC10s here. We fitted Apico bar risers and a set of Pro-Taper bars and grips with Polisport hand guards which are all very well-priced for the budget conscious. Put a Honda CRF150 folding tip gear lever on it, the standard brake lever has been fine (bent just the once).

The CRF-L is not a modern day XR, it's a modern day XL – the suspension is too soft to be XR. But for green laning it is a weapon, it works comfortably in the 15-25mph speed range on the lanes – after all you shouldn't be caning along – and is as quiet as an electric bike. But on the road it beats XRs hands down as it'll easily hold 70mph all day long, whereas on a CRF250X you're almost tapped-out at 50mph. Fuel: 90mpg. And it goes 8000 miles between services. I wouldn't enter it into an enduro anymore than I would an R1 Yamaha, but we took it to a LDT and it took home a second-class award. It's a cracking bike. But no, it's not a CRF250X. It's a lot cheaper, though.

Attachments:
_GBL4274.jpeg
_GBL4274.jpeg [ 484.01 KiB | Viewed 13959 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:39 pm 
80 cc

[quote="JB-TBM] ...it'll easily hold 70mph all day long...
[/quote]

I can't say I agree with that, unless you weigh 80kg and are short and hence present little wind resistance.
My experience is that the speedo reads 65mph at a true 60mph (70 indicated for 60 real mph with a 13T front sprocket which I think it really needs for off tarmac use) and it won't hold 70 real mph for even a mile on anything but the flat on a calm day.
I don't think I've ever even seen a claimed 70mph (which would probably be more like 64mph in truth).
Perhaps it's because I am 6ft 2 and weigh probably about 120kg with all my kit on.
Just my experience; perhaps you got a fast one and I got a slow one.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 pm 
650 cc Monster

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/march/honda-crf250-concept/

Attachment:
crf25l Rallye.JPG
crf25l Rallye.JPG [ 71.18 KiB | Viewed 13915 times ]

Honda CRF250 concept
Published: Yesterday 16:33

Honda CRF250 conceptHonda CRF250 concept1 of 2
Honda CRF250 concept Honda CRF250 concept
Honda will be taking the wraps off this CRF250 Rally at this weekend’s Osaka motorcycle show – at this stage it’s only being billed as a concept bike but production looks certain.

The CRF250 Rally is based on the existing CRF250L but has grafted on a host of parts from the competition CRF450 Rally bike which the firm competes in rally raid events.

Honda has invested a huge amount of money into the rally raid effort and has spent more money on this side of competition than it has in World Superbike racing as the market for motocross and enduro bikes is so much bigger in the global context.

The CRF250 Rally has the same colourscheme at the CRF450 Rally and lifts the tall windscreen, twin LED headlights, gets a larger 10 litre fuel tank and a side fairing that almost completely encompasses the engine.

It also gets larger diameter forks, Renthal handlebars and Mugen twin silencers.

We are still waiting for the production version of the new Honda Africa Twin which was presented as the True Adventure concept bike at last year’s Milan motorcycle show. That 1000cc parallel-twin is running behind schedule and although Honda is yet to officially confirm the bike will be getting the go-ahead, MCN sources have told us we will be seeing the finished bike towards the end of 2015 and the two versions will go on sale almost immediately.

Access-2X green roads
Improve-Riding skill
Identify- Responsible
Defence-against prosecution
Sustainability-Protect green roads & rights
Insurance

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 pm 

It is a shame that nobody really makes a trail bike anymore. I wonder why the manufacturers have gone away from making them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:13 pm 
200 cc

Ive recently changed the gearing on mine.

13t at the front and 42t rear.

Using gps tracking I hit very slightly higher top speeds on flat, uphill and down hill sections of road.
I think this backs up the idea that these bikes are very over geared for the power of the engine.

An online gearing calculator suggests the engine now revs 1000 rpm higher at 70mph with the new gearing.

Down sides are lower mpg (probably) and the speedo now over reads by just over 10 %.

The bike feels perkier on the trails but still keeps up with traffic on the road - I'll keep it as it is and see how I get on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 347 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next