TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tires for CRF 250L??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:34 pm 
50 cc

Hi,
I have a Honda CRF 250L which has done 5000 miles from new in March. I use it to commute to work on everyday and for occasional green laning and the odd Long Distance Trial.
The rear tire is now well and truly squared off and so I am looking to replace it. I am thinking about a Pirelli MT21 and wondered whether anyone out there can offer any thoughts or advice - is there a more suitable compromise than the Pirelli, given that 90% of my miles are on the road or should I perhaps stick with the original IRC tires?? What about Maxxis tires - would they fit the bill?

Regards,
Kite,
Oxfordshire.

Post subject: Re: Tires for CRF 250L??
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:45 pm 
300 cc

Maxxis are very good for general green lane use ,but not if your majority of miles are on the road

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:56 pm 

MT21s good on off tarmac except slippery mud...........depends when you do your trail riding.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:25 am 
200 cc

Are you happy with the way the standard tyres perform on and off road?

If you only occasionally green lane, a more off road tyre may not be a great idea.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:43 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Predominately in the Peak District I ride either my Serow or Beta Alp 4.0, both of which were fitted with knobbly tyres when I bought them. I replaced like for like but hated them. The road work was so uncomfortable and terrible for cornering on the road plus on the lanes the front tyres felt as though they were always trying to climb sideways out of any ruts whilst the rear was spitting me over rocks.

I reverted back to 'e' marked Pirelli and/or Michelin trials tyres, purchased through Oponeo online and I am totally confident in both. They are not as good as the knobblies on wet grass but I can put up with that.

So it is a question of confidence, comfort, performance and cost. If your current tyres suit your style and environment then stick with them, if not then perhaps try trials tyres. If you do n't like them then I am sure that you could sell them on via this forum.

Not really an answer but there is n't one :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:03 pm 
50 cc

Thanks for your responses - I've decided to go with a Michelin T63 as 90% of my riding is on the road and the other 10% is very gentle green laning.

Regards,
Kite.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:19 pm 
80 cc

Good choice!!

I'll be doing the same when I finally get myself a CRF250L.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:49 pm 
200 cc

I have a Michelin T63 on my BMW 650. It's pretty knobbly and I would have thought too off-road oriented for your 90% on / 10% off road. I would think the MT21 a better choice if available in the right size.

BTW I also have a CRF250L and fitted Metzler 6 day extreme... because I do as much off-tarmac as possible, but that's still 80% road, but when on dirt I want the best grip possible and am prepared to compromise the on-road performance. Actually the CRF250L is so light (relative to a BMW) you get reasonable performance even from the 6-days tyres just go steady in the wet.

I also agree a trials rear, Pirelli MT43 would be good if your trail riding doesn't have you paddling through deep mud too often. I might try one as I had this on my TTR250 and it was pretty good.

I found the standard IRC rear ok, but the front simply didn't grip anything slimey. something much more spikey is needed up front.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 pm 
80 cc

My girlfriend has MT21s on her bike. Seem good and hold road ok; however with more road miles they will wear quick. As said above better off with MT43. Would last longer and fine for most green roading apart from deep mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]