TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: How can you improve on the standard 35w/35w headlight bulb
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:33 am 
125cc

The lights on my 2014 Husky FE350 are poor and the bulbs keep blowing. Has anyone come up with a reasonable priced alternative? I don't want to have to up-rate the stator. Thanks in advance guys.

Post subject: Re: How can you improve on the standard 35w/35w headlight bu
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:49 am 
650 cc Monster

The standard bulb is tungsten and this can be cheaply upgraded to a Halogen bulb. Still poor light though.

You can change the OEM light to a trailtech x2 dualsport which gives you better reflectors for the main and dip, both still at 35w. X2 light costs around £100.

The X2 bulbs (H3) can be upgraded from 35w to 50w - this is a marked improvement on the OEM that can still run on original stator.

I've done this conversion on my Husky which is regularly used at night. I subsequently uprated the stator, not for the lights but because I also run a heated jacket.

Attachment:
IMG_4163.JPG
IMG_4163.JPG [ 1.91 MiB | Viewed 8291 times ]

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:17 pm 
125cc

Thanks for the info. Jon. I already looked at the X2 but I read that the low beam was still poor, I didn't know that you could up-grade the bulbs. Does yours now have a good low beam and do the bulbs take the rigours of off road use?
I noticed in your pic that you have a different fender to mine. Did you have to change it to accommodate the mask as mine has the reinforcing black gussets on top of it. Did you have to make up/purchase any other bits, brackets, switch etc. Or is it fit, plug and play?
Sorry about all the questions but it looks like you are the man who can answer them for me. Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:21 pm 
300 cc

Hi Steve I find that Strange as I have a fe 350 2015 and think the front light is exelent far more powerful than my previous ktm exc that I had I also run with dipped beam on all the time and have no problem with blown bulbs, ......... Kev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:12 pm 
650 cc Monster

Blueray wrote:
Hi Steve I find that Strange as I have a fe 350 2015 and think the front light is exelent far more powerful than my previous ktm exc that I had I also run with dipped beam on all the time and have no problem with blown bulbs, ......... Kev

The 2015 has the newer style headlight a la KTM EXC. These are superb. Unfortunately the 2014 Husky has the same light as the late 'bergs.

Converting 2014 to 2015 spec isn't simple - as I understand yu have to change the triple clamps!

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:22 pm 
650 cc Monster

Husky Steve wrote:
Thanks for the info. Jon. I already looked at the X2 but I read that the low beam was still poor, I didn't know that you could up-grade the bulbs. Does yours now have a good low beam and do the bulbs take the rigours of off road use?
I noticed in your pic that you have a different fender to mine. Did you have to change it to accommodate the mask as mine has the reinforcing black gussets on top of it. Did you have to make up/purchase any other bits, brackets, switch etc. Or is it fit, plug and play?
Sorry about all the questions but it looks like you are the man who can answer them for me. Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers

Steve

The low beam is fine - make sure you get the X2 dual sport with a road legal dip (projector).

Bulbs......well....I've not changed the bulbs in the X2 I fitted to the 690. I've done a season of hare and hounds, sussex to wales trip for TBM, 3 years of trailriding and used it to commute to work all year round.

The bulbs seem ok!!

Re the fender. it is the oem fender (just bought a black one - all my bikes are black as it confuses Mrs JP and when I buy a new bike she doesn't notice - just thinks it's another black bike.)
Any way ... fenders....I took the braces off and plugged up the hole. Trailtech do a plate with two prongs on it that bolts to the fender and provides mounting points for the light. Easy to fit.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:46 pm 
400 cc

You could always add an extra auxiliary led light on the bars.

Hereford Chairman

Last edited by GrayHTRF on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:34 pm 
125cc

Have a read of this, it may help...http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/off-road-endu ... s-d2d.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 pm 
650 cc Monster

HID aren't very good for road use. They take a while to warm up and you don't get a dipped beam.

Good thing about haolgem is that it's hot. Very handy when the frost/snow comes.

Be very careful with halogen projector - they will readily set fire to newspaper held a few inches in front of the light.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:11 pm 
125cc

Cheers guys for all the input, plenty to mull over. May try a Halogen bulb first but I think that I will probably end up with the X2.

Steve

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]