TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Do you use your trail bike to commute to work?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:38 pm 
200 cc

Hi guys

I'm working on ideas for the next months articles on the TRF website. If there's anything you would like to see on there please let me know. More ride reports? Rights of Way info? How to guides?

In the mean time, does anyone use their trail bike to commute to work? I'd love to hear from you if you do. I have an idea for an article about the most interesting commute in the land. Is it yours...?

Thanks for your help

Greg

greg@trf.org.uk

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

Post subject: Re: Do you use your trail bike to commute to work?
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:48 pm 
650 cc Monster

Oh yes. Year round. Sunshine to ice. Sometimes pick up green roads en route.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:12 pm 
80 cc

me too all year round sometimes on the way home (in the dark ) slight detour but fun use the local trails and short cuts the kids use :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:39 pm 
125cc

I'd like to see some hard ride reports. Hard green lanes?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:02 am 
300 cc

I used to... Back in the 80's...

First comp bike was a KMX125 with a Stan Stevens 175 tune...

Rode it 26 miles to work in Central London, bit of M1 ...during the week then race prep on Saturday for old school enduros and three stage trials on Sundays.. Sunday night in shed stripping down swing arm, callipers, chain, oil change, road chain and sprockets back on with number plate and "road tyres" then ride to work Monday morning...

Then got a 1987 ex works KTM350MXE 2 stroke and quickly found that getting a C90 for commuting to work was much..much cheaper and more comfortable..paid for its £200 cost in the first 6 months... ;)

Later got an XTZ750, Transalp, BMW R100GS that had occasional trail riding on nice wide open dirt roads.. With the KTM350MX road reg with total loss lights for enduros up to 2001.. With CBX750RR, GS850 Shaft, VFR750 and ST1100 for too and from work...Then a KTM400 replaced the old 1987 KTM after a move to the Country followed by ...KTM250Exc 6days, KTM525, KTM250Exc.. All of which I've used to travel to night shifts to allow early morning trial riding on the way back home... as err indoors won't allow me to have a proper road bike anymore after an almost fatal road accident... :roll:

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:29 pm 
200 cc

Hi John + 'Lazy'

Thanks for responding to this. How do you guys feel about a bit of a challenge? I would like you to document your commute. This will need to include some photos, but you could also film it if you like. The pics should start in your house as you leave and end when you get to your work place. Make it fun if you like - from breakfast to sitting down and turning the computer on. Go crazy.

I will then interview you for a short write up as part of the article.

Up for it? I would like to interview you on Friday 5th June if you are available - just let me know. I'll need your pics before then.

Andy T - do you have any pics from your commute back in the day? I'd love to include you if I can?

This is open to anyone else who is interested too - just drop me a line.

greg@trf.org.uk

Thanks

Greg

PS - Chris, I'll get on the case with 'hard rides' : )

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:23 pm 
80 cc

that would be a good idea if my way to work was not a little iffy 2 un used fields and old railway line then a short cut across the top of a ridge
all been that way for nearly 30+ yrs but it go's against the ethic of the group so No i dont use that way :shock:
and 99% of the time i put my sm rear wheel on to save tyre wear on my dirt 1 being the cheap skate that i am :D

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:53 pm 
650 cc Monster

Chris123321 wrote:
I'd like to see some hard ride reports. Hard green lanes?

Join the SW TRF, and get Gray to lead you up London Road !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:52 pm 
125cc

I've ridden my trail bike through Ely cathedral before. :D

but no, I don't commute to work, I live to close to bother. Very occasionally ride it to work, for a quick get away on a Friday afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/senthx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:24 pm 
80 cc

I have a ttr250 that is primarily my commuter bike - 3m through the edge of Bristol mostly on dual carriageways! I leave it on off road gearing and run road type trail bike tyres which I don't change for trail riding to make it more challenging! It's the perfect bike through traffic. Takes about 15 mins to convert it to green lane mode and 20 to put it back - the indicators never work 1st time!
18 months later - I've given up converting it, just run it in trail mode all the time now, with proper trail tyres. All I do is screw in the mirrors.

Last edited by mmwain on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next