TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: adventure trip info/help
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:16 pm 
125cc

Hi Guys
Next year myself and a mate would like to do the Trans Portugal off road and or Norway/Sweden off road so..
Whats the best/cheapest on off road sat nav
Does anyone have the routes they could send to me , tried to download but no success
As im using a 2006 BMW 650 GS what is the must take items
Best/cheapest way to repatriate bike at end, we will fly back.
And last any other help would be great (best time, best stops, avoid )

Thanks in advance
Kon

Post subject: Re: adventure trip info/help
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:23 pm 
200 cc

Hi Kon

Have you seen this?

http://www.trf.org.uk/europes-best-kept ... ng-secret/

I know Arrif who was on the trip and would be happy to pass your email details on to him if you want to pick his brains. Just PM me.

Best

Greg

TRF communications contractor on the hunt for good photos, films and stories. If you've been riding and have a tale to tell, I'm interested. Drop me an email greg@trf.org.uk

The Green Lane Relay: https://vimeo.com/96521474

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:53 pm 
Do you have a link for the Trans Portugal Off Road? I could only find a cycle event and a 4x4 route.

We spent a few weeks in Portugal last year although we took the van and rode out from it each day. There are a lot of what I'd call dual sport roads which I'd guess you'd mainly be looking at that we took the van along.

Try google earth and plan your own route, I'd be happy to give some pointers.

Best way to repatriate bike....... leave it there in storage, fly back in the future and ride it home.
Do a deal with someone to ride it back.
Check out people like Desert Rose Racing, Torque Racing who may have space on a return trip from Morroco.
Consider shipping the bikes out and riding them home as that might be easier.

If you're mostly looking at dual sport routes a standard satnav will do £30 on ebay.

How long are you planning on going for?

The ferry route from St Nazaire to Gijon is curently suspended but if it returns it's a good way to get across to NW Spain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:54 pm 
PS If I could load pictures bigger than 2kb I could show you some tempting shots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:38 am 
125cc

Thanks, Dan gave me a link but could not download route to my satmap/viewranger want a route I can use adventure tyres on my 650gs, I want to ride to Portsmouth go to Santandar then to start of route, been offered a zumo550 for £100 but don't know if it is any good for down loading the full route, never done anything like this before so have no idea where to start

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]