TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: new to off road world :)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:41 pm 
50 cc

Right I am new to this whole thing. so some questions along the way could sound stupid !
I have rode trials bikes since I was like 3. up until i was 17 when i got my first road bike from then the list of bikes is; Suzuki sv650s, yam R6, Honda RR, Daytona 675, Street Triple (2 of) i would class my self as a decent rider off road as i do off road schools through the winter were i use a 250 single, I am into my stunting on the road (private roads that is... officer :o) so i can handle power. I’m bored of the road thing now, so me and my mate are looking at trail bikes which I have wanted to do for a while. So I need suggestions on what bike to go for. I don’t want something that is going to brake every time I use it, I want something light for picking it up when dropped, and for flicking through the bends. Am I best going for 250 or 400? What models? Etc…

All help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Post subject: Re: new to off road world :)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:42 am 
In My humble opinion, you dont need power offroad, what you need is a bullet proof bike, as you will bin it.....but that is part of the fun.

I started (and still run) a Drz400. It is fine for me, cheap, rubust, and pretty low maintaiance

The must thing to do / buy:

1) Body Armour
2) Knee Pads
3) Join the TRF
4) DO NOT USE ILLEGAL LANES
5) Again DO NOT USE ILLEGAL LANES
6) For clothing, I have army Combats & army gortex waterproof trousers
7) Waterproof socks
8) Remember if you want to race, go to an MX / enduro event/track.. much more fun

You could do a Trial day, for example at Trail world http://www.trailworld.co.uk/ or Suzuki http://www.wheeldontwo.co.uk/

That way you get a taster without shelling out a load of money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:29 pm 
50 cc

thanks for the reply, so i have freinds with drz400 road tyres. and find the seat height high... im only 5 foot 8 so struggle with putting my feet down on most 400's... :S
what type of money should i be spending on a drz400 for a first bike. ??
thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:43 pm 
you can get a lowereing kit........also there is a knack, for small people There is a Girl from MK, who hops on and off a bike better than anyone I know!!

The Range should be about £1500 and upwards.

Make sure you get brushguards, sump plate, remove the rubber on the foot rests, remove indicators, add a metal number plate........basically an off road preped one!! look a a few sites/forums, for example, therevcounter.com throttlemonkey.com or trailbikemag.com

Also get along to your local TRF meeting, they will have a tonne of experiance / good advice :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:51 pm 
80 cc

Evening Swainey, i'm Jim i ride out of the East Yorkshire group. As the chap before mensioned a reliable bike is key.
I would say pick your stroke first do you want 2 or 4. I have always rided 4. I too came from road bikes. CBR600f, Gsxr750 and a 749 Duke. ohh the good old days, but i also had off roaders to play with during winter. The 4's have a good power delivery all the way through the revs where a 2 stroker will let rip at around 2-3000 revs i think and they can kick like a mule. My wife has a KTM 125 sx motor crosser and its mental. Will kill my 450 Husqvarna off the line but just runs out at top end. Also the 4 strokes will run longer between fuel fill ups which is good when your miles from a station and dont need the oil mixing ~( big pain) and if you like your stunts a 4 will gives smoother powers (on private land only )

Following the stroke of your bike. Pick your cc I started on a Honda XR250cc 4 stroke then moved to a 400 Husaberg which just made the 250 just seem tame. The 400 would go places i would never imagined and to top it off i put super moto wheels on it for summer, great fun and kept up with the sports bike mates i had so you still keep your mates on road as well. The 250cc bike would not like road work if you were out with your road bike mates.

Anyway back to off road. if height is a problem with 400cc + then your can lower your shocks or get a new seat or just get your right cheek of the seat like i do to get your foot down.

Following your cc just pick your colour and off you go. KTM, Husky, Husaberg, BMW, Yamaha, Kawaka, Suzuki, Honda, GasGas, Derbi, Sherco, Aprilia, They are all as good as each other but my personal fav's are the KTM's as they have a good range of bikes and the second hand market is huge, just look on bike trader to see. Also you want the KTM EXC which are the road legal enduro range. Or just go for something your mates have had. The DRZ400 is a good all rounder just a bit heavy compared to the competition. But bullet proof. Also go for something that has a local dealer in my mind then spares and servicing isn't a chew.

One thing i would say is get a magic button. Electric start. just better when you bin it and need to start it again, and again ,and again.

Also get some good clothes. i run a set of padded mx pants and top body armer for summer and an enduro set for winter which keeps you warmer. some good gloves and boots. Helmet what yor pay for is what you get. i have an Aria but there are many depending of price. for all your clother you can be looking at about £800 for a good set up but can make do. My thoughts are the same as when i rode the road, the better the gear the more confident i felt and if i fall off it didn't hurt. I have had a set of Sidi boots for 5 years now,cost me £200 ok they look used but are still in tacked and look ok to if i had only spent a few quid you can quarentee that they would be nacked by now and i would have had to fork out again. They have been through rivers, deep mud holes and snow and have never been looked after.The helmet was £250 and the mx stuff about £80 for body armer and £100 for pants and shirt. The winter stuff was old road gear which has the armer in pockets so i can clean it all.

Then get a water system cos you get hot chucking your bike about and some basic tools, spare inner tube.

so there you go. Give me a call if you want to chat more about it or drop me a reply. You can get me on 077 47 58 323

All the best and hope that helps.

Cheer

Jim

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]