TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Dispatch / Expert van
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 am 
650 cc Monster

Don't think that's the case if it's a car-derived van...is there an MPV variant of this vehicle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 am 
650 cc Monster

Richard Simpson wrote:
Don't think that's the case if it's a car-derived van...is there an MPV variant of this vehicle?

they n do a Taxi version

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:33 pm 
300 cc

Taxi version is ok. Not much in the car derived van now. Corsavan, old Astravan. Doblo, Berlingo, Kangoo vans are all rated as commercial as they aren't car derived, they are vans modified as cars. The passenger versions of these are "cars", but the vans are "limited". If you do a Tax search on direct.gov, the tax class is on there. Look for M1 class.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:52 pm 
300 cc

The speed restrictions on car derived vans and other goods vehicles do not apply to those adapted or constructed for the carrying of less than 9 passengers...

My LWB HiRoof transit was first registered as a rail track crew bus with 9 seats...
No speed restrictions below national speed limits..even after I took the last row of three seats out and built a new bulk head behind the second row..can carry 6 people and three large bikes at the national speed limit.. ;)

I posted up the chart on here once..think it was pre revamp..might be around somewhere still...

Sadly after 8 years of passing the MOT with no advisories and no break downs the turbo stopped kicking in last week.. :( Might have to spend something on it now...

Ahaha ..here some info I'll find the chart later..

Quote:
Schedule 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 sets out the national speed limits for vans.

Do vans and cars have the same national speed limits?

Vans are generally subject to lower speed limits than cars because they are equipped to carry more weight and, when loaded, take more time to decelerate than cars travelling at identical speeds.

Some vans and all goods vehicles not exceeding a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of 7.5 tonnes have lower national speed limits than cars. This applies to both single and 'dual carriageway' roads (central reservations separating the two carriageways).

Cars can travel at speeds of up to 60 mph on single carriageways and 70 mph on dual carriageways while vans are only permitted to reach maximum speeds of 50 mph on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways.

Like cars, vans are subject to a 70 mph speed limit on a motorway - unless they are towing a trailer, in which case the speed limit is 60 mph.

The national speed limits for vans apply irrespective of whether the vehicle is travelling fully loaded, partially loaded or unloaded.

Lower speed limits apply (and are signposted) on local roads and in built-up residential areas.

Which vans are exempt from lower speed limits?

Some vans have the same speed limit as cars. These are known as 'car-derived vans', which are goods vehicles derived from a car chassis and have an MAM of no more than two tonnes.

What type of vehicle qualifies as a car-derived van for the purposes of speed limits?

The van design must literally be derived from the body of a regular passenger car. It is not enough that it resembles a particular make and model.

Only a small number of vehicles meet the criteria for a car-derived van and therefore benefit from the higher speed limit of cars. These are laid down in part IV, section 2 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

Examples of car-derived vans include models based on the following vehicles:

Ford Fiesta
Vauxhall Astra
Vauxhall Corsa
Fiat Punto
Peugeot 207
Renault Clio.
A car-derived van has a maximum load of approximately 0.5 tonnes so that, when added to the weight of an unloaded vehicle (approximately 1.4 tonnes), it will not exceed two tonnes.

Here is the list table

My Transit is the at first registration goods, duel purpose passenger vehicle not exceeding 3050kg or 8 seats...unladen
Same for car derived van not exceeding 2000kg max laden...

http://www.dcsafetycameras.org/document ... Limits.pdf

I now carry a print out in the visor of the van just for those tetchy traffic cops in Wales...I've only been pulled over once..in Wales ...the traffic cop didn't believe me but I insisted he call in and ask for clarification....he appeared frustrated he could not find anything wrong with the van having pulled me for a max of 68mph on a duel lane..Newport 4042 :lol: He even checked the washer bottle had water in and did the tyre pressures, lights etc... I just smiled at him...and had a cup of coffee while he got dirty looking for stuff wrong on the van... I also get the bridge for the same cost as a car...and it's London congestion and emission zone compliant still !

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:54 pm 
125cc

MERCEDES-BENZ CITAN ?? Duoline or something. Not cheap, but I saw one today and was seriously impressed. Enough to be getting a test vehicle later in the year....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Citan is a Renault in drag...there may be a direct equivalent from France a bit cheaper than the Merc version.

There are loads of new vans on the market at the moment...but the reality is that with the exception of Fords, most are clones that appear with 3 or 4 different badges: Fiat-Citroen-Peugots or Vauxhall-Renault-Nissans or Merc-VWs.

Which isn't to say that individual models don't have their pros and cons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:39 pm 
125cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
Citan is a Renault in drag...there may be a direct equivalent from France a bit cheaper than the Merc version.

There are loads of new vans on the market at the moment...but the reality is that with the exception of Fords, most are clones that appear with 3 or 4 different badges: Fiat-Citroen-Peugots or Vauxhall-Renault-Nissans or Merc-VWs.

Which isn't to say that individual models don't have their pros and cons.

Never a truer word! The elongated Citan does seem to fit the bill for many, although I have no real clue as to their reliability!! I reckoned with the low load height, a small trailie or 2 would fit in.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2