TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Riding in Wilts/Dorset next Sunday
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:02 pm 
650 cc Monster

Anyone fancy it?

Sample here

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... -road.html

Post subject: Re: Riding in Wilts/Dorset next Sunday
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:56 pm 
50 cc

This Sunday, or last?

I'm very much interested in joining you this Sunday if you are tackling this route. I've ridden the Shaftesbury Drove a few times since I recently started out on my XR125L, however I really want to head out to the plains and such to learn the routes, I live in Salisbury, y'see. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:14 pm 
80 cc

The ride was last Sunday! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:09 pm 
650 cc Monster

Sorry you missed it Luke. I won't be out there again for a while.

Get the OS map Salisbury and the Plain, which has all the Byways Open to All Traffic marked on it. Wiltshire's waymarking is the best in the country so the routes are easy to pick out on the ground.

On the Military Training Area on the Plain all the Byways are marked, along with Permissive Byways you can also use. Just respect any closures (red flags/gates etc) you encounter and don't stray from the tracks.There's a 30 mph limit on the plain, and remember that you will see and hear tanks etc easily, but they may not see or hear you

If you get lost, don't worry: just ride till you get to a major made-up track and it will take you to the Perimeter Road, where you will be able to find civilisation. Just make sure you've got enough petrol.

Have fun, and I'm sorry you missed our little ride around.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:05 am 
125cc

will be heading to plains in the next month your welcome to come

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:08 pm 
50 cc

It is a shame I missed it but really thanks a lot for your advice. My major concern was knowing where I could ride on the plain and to know it's all signed is a major relief. And thanks for your tip regarding the OS map. Should I get explorer or Landranger?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:37 pm 
650 cc Monster

I use the Landranger...it's No 184

August is usually quiet on the Plain from the army point of view.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:50 am 
50 cc

Beautiful stuff Richard. I picked up the Landranger map you recommended, got the snazzy "active" version with the laminated pages. I am now waiting for it to arrive via snail mail.

I got over there a couple of days ago, and it is extremely well sign posted and such, I was and still am pretty impressed with that. Wiltshire being as good as it is with Byway mapping and sign posting makes me seriously consider never moving out of the county.

Whilst over the plain I had an off whilst in a deep rut, I foolishly tried to get out of it at 20mph or so, not realising how deep it was due to the grass cover. Snapped my left rear indicator off, and bruised up my left hand side quite nicely! I think the biggest wound was done to my pride though :lol:

I would very much like to meet up and ride with some folk in my area, it really seems though the group section of the forums for Wiltshire is somewhat dead, I don't know how to go about things. I purchased my membership in the hope of several topics of Wiltshire routes, and regular meet ups and activity, to my dismay when I got access, there is practically nothing there! I am really disappointed in that to be honest, the impression I got prior to signing up was of the above :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:39 am 
650 cc Monster

Hi Luke,

Yes, you have to watch out for ruts in long grass. Some people will tell you you shouldn't ride alone. It's not a view I subscribe to (providing you are strong enough to pick your bike up unaided), but you do have to be aware that if you are on your own its up to you to get yourself out of whatever situation you are in and ride accordingly. If something looks tricky ahead (river ford, huge puddle etc), I'll get off and walk it first.

I also never go out without all my protective gear on, including elbow and knee pads. I did once break an elbow (didn't have pads on in those days), and it was quite sore riding home.

There is a very active and friendly Wilts TRF Group, but for some reason they are hidden away here

http://www.wiltshiretrf.co.uk/

so you are not alone in the impression that they don't actually do anything.

I managed to get the group I'm involved in to shut down its 'ghetto' forum, and there's no doubt that things go better if the main TRF forum is used.

I think groups who do still have their own forum should at least get admin to put a link to it as a sticky in the 'What the Groups are Up To' section here.

All the best

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:21 am 
80 cc

Hi Luke,

Welcome to the group.

Technology and peoples preference to use that technology can move very slowy or very quickly depending upon the individual...The Wilts group...at the moment...has decided to have 'semi static' pages on their local website

http://www.wiltshiretrf.co.uk/

we tried moving activity and up to date stuff to the national forum (this one) but it looks like Facebook has prevailed....now that you are a member and have access to our Facebook group I hope that you can see we do try to get out and ride now and then.

You've joined at a busy Horse event time for Wilts so weekend rides might be difficult to come by for the next couple of weeks, but having said that there are few fellow riders that don't do the Horse events so you could be lucky....just ask...(as you have done on Facebook I see).

My preference for contact is the good old fashioned face to face monthly meeting, but appreciate living in Salisbury may be difficult to attend meetings held in Devizes, but we have regulars from the Amesbury area that attend so there could be lift optons for you.

We also have less formal social type meetings held between the formal monthly meet at nominated locations around the county during the summer, last week we were at Amesbury...is there a pattern here of you just missing out :-)

I'll send you(email) a welcome sheet, it's a handout to prospective members so some of its now irrelavant to you. You're now on my email list which is the other means of communication from the group and any ride outs that I'm informed of get distributed out.

I'll be doing a few early evening, just our for a couple of hours, midweek rides before we lose the light and long days so keep an eye out for the emails.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next