TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester TRF Lakes ADV ride 8/6/2014
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:28 pm 
650 cc Monster

cheers for that!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:38 am 
80 cc

mancchair wrote:
for the non members some more from todays manchester trf adventure bike ride, have a look what YOU could be doing ;)
Beats talking touratek on forums :o but dont take my word for it get in touch and give it a go :)

Hi guys,

absolutely inspirational pictures, that ride looked amazing.

I'm picking up a new F800GS adventure next week, and although I'll be using it every day to commute, I am starting to look for opportunities to use it off the tarmac too. I stumbled across this website today.

I'd appreciate your advice please
- I noticed one of you was on an F800GS, but with off road tyres. Would my GS be capable of coming on a trip such as the one you did as it is, or are off road tyres essential?
- Are any other mods strongly recommended?
- How would you recommend someone such as me gets started as I have no experience on green lanes - I would be worried about rocking up to a ride with a group, and holding everyone up.

Any advice much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 pm 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Hello mr allrover sorry I have only just seen your post, the tyres that Pete's gs were sporting were only mild trail tyres probably not a great deal better than standard fitments, as long as the trails are of a rock/gravel surface tyres would not be a major issue particularly in summertime, you would have been ok on this ride as I would have adjusted it to suit the groups abilities and it was an adventure bike specific ride. The biggest problem for yourself would probably be the trauma of putting a few scratches/minor dings on a stunning new expensive machine :( but then life is not a rehearsal and were only here once :?
Not sure where you are located but you would be most welcome to join one of our rides at the manchester group give me a call if I can help or advise ;)
Phil 07809647293 :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:26 pm 
200 cc

I was just replying to this and my phone died, bugger. But Phils the man in the know and I basically put what hes said.

Get out and enjoy your GS as BMW intended :-D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:03 pm 
80 cc

Hey, thanks for the replies.

I live in Whitefield, Manchester, so local to you. I tried to get on the Manchester TRF group website previously, but the links don't work, so it's nice to make contact.

I picked the bike up Friday, and had an enjoyable hour or so on Saturday exploring the hills North of Heywood and Rochdale. I even stumbled across a road that turned into a gravel track for half a mile up to a reservoir, so had my first experience of standing up on a bike off tarmac. Great fun, but very weird!

Made me realise I have so much to learn, how best to stand and put my weight, how to use the back brake whilst stood up! (freaked me out - my ankle didnt want to bend), I didn't even attempt to change gear! :o

So I think I might need some tuition before I come on any rides. Have any of you any experience of these guys? http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/onetwoone.htm

Re the bike, I'm not fussed about it getting marked. I mean I dont want to beat the cr*p out of it, but I'm realistic enough to know I'll never get off the road if I'm worried about some scrapes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:17 pm 
200 cc

Ive never had any experience with the website mentioned but.... I dnt think you need tuition tbh. As the old saying goes start small and practice makes perfect. I live in Rochdale and know a few lan. es you could try as an easy Start.

If you want to meet up one evening to go for a ride just let me know on 07824666692
May be less daunting than a full blown trip out to start with. Then you can get too the meetings when youve found you trail feet. And from there on out the adventure is limitless. :D

Jon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:53 pm 
80 cc

Thanks Jon,

that's a kind offer and I'll definitely take you up on it whilst the evenings are still light.

How do you guys communicate when organising a meet up? On a forum post here, another website, a facebook group or just good old fashioned text messages etc.

I just ordered some crash bars for the beemer, so once they're on, if (when) I do drop it, the fairings will be safe :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:06 pm 
200 cc

Rides are arranged at the meetings and then posted in the members section of the forum. ( you get access to this after you become a paid member)
but your more than welcome to come to the meetings at the sycamore pub in Ashton on the 2nd and 4th Monday of every month and get yourself on a ride out.

Your best bet is to contact Phil on the number in his post for more detail.

Drop me a txt message when your free and we can arrange a ride out.

Weds are best for me because of work. But I can swing other days if needs be. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:06 am 
50 cc

Looks like a cracking ride guys. I've been keeping an eye on the forum but been up to eyes in work etc. Not sure the Super Ten needs another exposure to Salter Fell but I still enjoy more sedate tracks! Oh, most scars are sorted or bashed out from the last trip...still finding mud. Hoping to get back out at some point but still considering an alternative steed.

Must catch up Jon for that local spin!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:22 am 
650 cc Monster

Allrover wrote:
Hey, thanks for the replies.

I live in Whitefield, Manchester, so local to you. I tried to get on the Manchester TRF group website previously, but the links don't work, so it's nice to make contact.

I picked the bike up Friday, and had an enjoyable hour or so on Saturday exploring the hills North of Heywood and Rochdale. I even stumbled across a road that turned into a gravel track for half a mile up to a reservoir, so had my first experience of standing up on a bike off tarmac. Great fun, but very weird!

Made me realise I have so much to learn, how best to stand and put my weight, how to use the back brake whilst stood up! (freaked me out - my ankle didnt want to bend), I didn't even attempt to change gear! :o

So I think I might need some tuition before I come on any rides. Have any of you any experience of these guys? http://www.overlandertrailtours.co.uk/onetwoone.htm

Re the bike, I'm not fussed about it getting marked. I mean I dont want to beat the cr*p out of it, but I'm realistic enough to know I'll never get off the road if I'm worried about some scrapes.

eyup, I am in Prestwich so not far from you, learning off road is a bit of shit sandwich routine... Small bites... Sounds like you are sorting it.Re standing up... I have an enduro bike and rarely stand... People laugh of course, but I hardly ever drop it or 'get off' I like being lower to the ground and it's easier to take a dab... Having said that, my arse is killing me ! ... Nah, joking... Also easier to use the rear brake with feeling.... Come to a meeting, you can pick me and Pete up on the way as we like a few 'shandys'.... Ha,ha... Cheers,Joel.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next