TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: drz engines
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:56 pm 
50 cc

After a super funny day out `swimming` sorry riding with some of the cambridge mob my drz motor locked solid,it had`nt seemed itself all day,after cooling down it rattled back to life and we made our way home.This morning i started to strip it down first job was to have a look in the oil filter housing expecting to find swarf etc but there was none not even any oil ! the filter was bone dry, i change oil+filter each ride on this bike so i`m guessing that the motor had no oil for at least 2 or 3 hours of riding i`m gutted to have broken her but super impressed how she managed to keep going for so long.

Post subject: Re: drz engines
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:36 pm 
300 cc

Take the stator cover off and check the magneto has not fallen of.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 am 
200 cc

Has your countershaft seal been damaged by the bush having corrosion on it?
Remove the sprocket and inspect the bush that goes through the seal on to the inner bearing.
Corrosion on this mild steel bush takes the lips off the seal and the engine slowly bleeds itself dry.
Usually the cam picks-up in the head, this can be enough to lock the engine. The cam journals are the highest lube point and furthest away from the oil pump, so they seize first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
400 cc

Yeah, what Timpo said!

My DRZ had this problem (gearbox output seal failure) a couple of years ago and it was only good fortune that I spotted it before I lost most of the oil.

It is/was a common fault on DRZs.

Having said that they carry quite a lot of oil by modern standards so I'm suprised you didn't see it. Mine made quite a lot of mess and it only lost about half a litre.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 pm 
50 cc

I`ll have to strip the motor when i have time and find the cause, the oil and filter had been replaced the night before the ride and it lost no oil during the ride,i think the problem may have been oil pump related as the new filter had no sign of oil on it,will let you other dr owners know asap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 am 
200 cc

skitter wrote:
I`ll have to strip the motor when i have time and find the cause, the oil and filter had been replaced the night before the ride and it lost no oil during the ride,i think the problem may have been oil pump related as the new filter had no sign of oil on it,will let you other dr owners know asap

Hmmm...... was the oil filter in the wrong way round? I didn't think this could be done with the DRZ engine....
Or was the scavenge level not checked prior to running? Mentioned in the oil change rpoceedure is a tell-tail level screw, and unless the fresh oil seeps from it when loosened, the engine should not be run.
You got me thinking on this one, so yes please do keep us posted.

And, I did here that CCM had a batch of 'E' engines to sell, not sure if they all went, but worth a call if your stuck.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 pm 
125cc

oil and filter change ? no oil on the filter :oops: did it get filled back up ?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:01 pm 
300 cc

Timpo wrote:
I did here that CCM had a batch of 'E' engines to sell, not sure if they all went, but worth a call if your stuck.

When I did the cam chain on mine (404) the cam journals were scored so I swapped the head to be on the safe side. CCM did offer me a v-good price on a new one compared to a suzuki dealer, but manged to get a good one from a breaker cheeper. CCM are quite competitive on DRZ-E spares (CCM404), if they have got what you need.

If I remember correctly the oil pump drive cog is plastic may have stripped some teeth? The fact you got going again sugest a sieze over the stator or anything else comming loose.

Whatever it turns out to be, hope it not too serious.

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:04 am 

back off road wrote:
oil and filter change ? no oil on the filter :oops: did it get filled back up ?

Thats what I was thinking!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:45 pm 
50 cc

Just stripped the engine the cause of the problem was a crappy plastic gear that drives the oil pump had lost its teeth,so may be worth other owners checking/changing this cog nice easy job and save a fortune in repairs!.As for me i`ve chucked it in the back of the shed and gone orange :( Any one wanting drz bits let me know, full fmf power bomb pipe good wheels etc or £500 takes the lot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next