TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: HELP SNAPPED BOLT ON KTM400!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 pm 
80 cc

Help!!!!

Thought I would service the bike today before my ride out next weekend and I have done the most stupid thing ever!! :oops:

I have a ktm400exc and iv snapped the head off one of the bolts holding in the first oil filter!!! Done anyone know of anyone who could help me, currently the bikes leaking a slight drop of oil as the gaskets not sealed :(

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have got pics if anyone needs to see what I have done :oops:

Nick

Post subject: Re: HELP SNAPPED BOLT ON KTM400!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:55 pm 
400 cc

KTMNICK wrote:
Help!!!!

Thought I would service the bike today before my ride out next weekend and I have done the most stupid thing ever!! :oops:

I have a ktm400exc and iv snapped the head off one of the bolts holding in the first oil filter!!! Done anyone know of anyone who could help me, currently the bikes leaking a slight drop of oil as the gaskets not sealed :(

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I have got pics if anyone needs to see what I have done :oops:

Nick

Afternoon......depending on how bad that might be a drill out and helicoil..........but I recommend posing the question on here

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forum.php

That forum is a KTM bible ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:30 pm 

Don't under any circumstances use an easy-out, they are renowned for snapping off and making the problem worse. Apart from checking on KTMforum (very good advice) consider buying some left-handed drill bits as you might be lucky enough to unscrew the bolt as you are drilling it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:08 pm 
125cc

Hi Nick,

Firstly don't worry you are not the first and most certainly not the last person to snap a bolt.
Your'll find the bolt will not of "bottomed out" so should be loose in the threads.
Carefully drill down the centre of the bolt, insert an easi out and wind out it out, sounds easy i know.
Secondly invest in a 1/4 drive socket set , dont mean to be patronising but you won't apply as much torque and you will lessen the risk of snapping another bolt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
80 cc

Unfortunately I am a bit of an expert at snapping heads off. So I have in my tool box a selection of tools for those "ohh bugger not again" moments. All can be got from halfords so can be done on sunday, so here goes. If there is some stud still showing try a stud extracting socket, they work really well. If there is space a stilson will also bite enough. WD40. Heat/cold depending on the heat effciency of the metal, tapping with a hammer the stud to try and break the bind. Easi outs do work, and yes I have snapped a few, and they are made of really really hard metal, but I think the trick is to drill a hole as big as you dare. I have got some studs out just by drilling very close to the edge. Drilling and re-tapping the hole/helicoils work, but I find the helicoils a but soft.
Finally, For bolts that I dont take out that often or are in exposed areas I copper slip. Hope this helps.
msb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:53 pm 
80 cc

:cry: flipping thing. There's no head od the nut left at all the thread of the nut is flush with the filter casing, it's that small I'm worried about drilling incase I go into the casing!! :roll: think I'm foobared!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:42 pm 
200 cc

Here's a pic he sent me

As long as the hole was clear and it hasn't 'bottomed out' i think it should be easy to get out once the cover is removed. As other posters have said the LH drill/easy out should do it :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:13 pm 
125cc

Oh dear.

Mines a KTM engine and the same oil filters as this, gona grease the bolts up on its next service I think to stop this happening.

Good luck tho.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LOWIUK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:54 am 
80 cc

To get the drill bit (start with a small bit first and build it up) in the right place you could use a small grinding stone on your drill to indent the bolt, or use a punch to mark the spot to drill otherwise you might not have control over the drill bit and not drill straight. Looks tricky, best of luck fella.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 am 
200 cc

LOWI wrote:
Oh dear.

Mines a KTM engine and the same oil filters as this, gona 'COPPERSLIP' the bolts up on its next service I think to stop this happening.

Good luck tho.

FIXED IT FOR YOU :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next