TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Royal Enfield
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:39 am 
80 cc

Gents and Ladies,
I have just come back from three fantastic weeks riding 350 Royal Enfields in and over the Himalayas , I was so impressed with the way the bike performed over there that i have gone out and purchased one !!!
I will be turning it into a trials version which is very easy to do thanks to a firm called Hitchcocks , who supply all the items i need off the shelf.

What I wanted to ask was have any of you tried this style of bike on the lanes that we use and your comments please.

Attachments:
2009-RoyalEnfield-ScramblerTrialsKita.jpg
2009-RoyalEnfield-ScramblerTrialsKita.jpg [ 28.99 KiB | Viewed 8950 times ]

Post subject: Re: Royal Enfield
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

My Dad has got the road version. Took him for a tour of the easier Sussex lanes last summer. It plonked along them all quite happily on it's ribbed tyres!

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:15 pm 
650 cc Monster

It was originally based on a trials bike: so it shouldn't be too bad.

Main drawbacks over a 'modern' are:

Weight

Ground clearance

Suspension travel

'Orrible rubber footrests.

On the positive side the heavy-flywheel, low power engine should chug through or over most things.

If you can address the footrest issue, it should go just about everywhere a more modern bike does, just at a leisurely pace.

It v KTM is a like like Series 1 Land Rover v World Rally Car: but that doesn't mean that you can't have fun in a Series 1 Land Rover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:41 pm 
650 cc Monster

They do 80mpg +

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm 
125cc

each to there own it wouldnt do for us to all ride the same but for how long theyve been around it says something about them ,ive been out today around the peak district with a mate on a GY 200 not my idea of an off roader but it plodded along all day and even made it up stanedge pole so as long as you accept the limitations of whatever you choose to ride and enjoy it whats it matter .you must have been more than happy riding it or you would have gone for something else

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:06 am 
80 cc

I have two Royal Enfield Bullets, one a proper 1956 trials bike in a Crusader frame and a 1951 Bullet with lots of later Indian parts on it.
My usual green lanes are in the Lakedistrict and the trials version manages all the lanes including Walna Scar without too many problems.
A lot depends on the type of lanes you intend to use, but the main drawbacks are the gearing and the foot rest position. As you have already discovered Hitchcocks you will be aware of the numerous parts available to modify them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24439520@N03/4764598419/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24439520@N03/4309794564/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24439520@N03/4166960305/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24439520@N03/4167730324/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for your comments and great pics gents, the bike was purchased for me to "Bimble " about, i know that they are slow and heavy BUT i joined the TRF to find places that i cannot get to without a long walk or a horse, this bike is all about a life style thing . I loved the pace of India and want soooo much to try and get that feeling over here, I will let you know if and when it happens.
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:40 pm 
80 cc

My mate has a road Enfield that he has converted to a trailie with rear suss and a sprung saddle which makes things a bit bouncy at times. Last month we did quite a few lanes in the Northern Lake District, the bike coped fine and we're no trials heroes.

As mentioned, main drawbacks are weight, gearing, lack of ground clearance, footrest position and the tank is pretty wide when standing up although may be ok if the pegs were moved back.

Standard h'bar levers are pretty brittle, don't ask how I know! Best making sure that you either have solid brush guards, good levers or check that the front brake lever can be turned upside down to fit the clutch if reqd. I think the nipples are different sizes or there was some reason they wouldn't swap when we needed them to.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]