TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: LDT Advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:42 pm 
50 cc

Hi All,
I am about to embark on my first LDT this weekend. I ride a 250 Djebel with MT43's front and back. I have very little idea of what I've let myself in for.
Any advice about what to take/wear. Do I use a roadbook holder? Top box or tail pack.......................?
As you can gather I really am in the dark about this one. I do loads of road miles a year (25-30,000) and love laning. I previously struggled with my 1100GS on lanes but have now bought the Djebel 250 so I can enjoy the whole thing a bit more.
Any ideas/advice would be gratefully recieved and taken on board.

Regards

Chod

Safe riding

Post subject: Re: LDT Advice needed
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:26 pm 
50 cc

Hello all,

As a new-ish member to the TRF I am disappointed in the response to my request for help. I know the post hasn't been up for long but a lot of you have viewed it.
I'm setting off early in the morning and by the evening will be able to offer some advice to anyone with a similiar post.
We need to encourage each other and generally be supportive and helpful towards each other, even if that means just pointing you to someone else who might help.
Lets pull our combined fingers out and be proactively helpful and supportive towards each other. After all we all share the same interests and objectives.

Slightly dissapointed

Chod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:48 pm 
650 cc Monster

My view for what it's worth.

Take as little as possible! Make it as compact and bike hugging as possible so you can move freely around the bike.

Dress as you would for a trail ride.

Use the most aggressive tyres your allowed to - espescially if your covering varied terrain.

Contact the organisers in first instance for advice - they're the ones running it so are best placed so as to inform you of need for roadbookholder etc.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:27 pm 
200 cc

chod wrote:
Hello all,

As a new-ish member to the TRF I am disappointed in the response to my request for help. I know the post hasn't been up for long but a lot of you have viewed it.
I'm setting off early in the morning and by the evening will be able to offer some advice to anyone with a similiar post.
We need to encourage each other and generally be supportive and helpful towards each other, even if that means just pointing you to someone else who might help.
Lets pull our combined fingers out and be proactively helpful and supportive towards each other. After all we all share the same interests and objectives.

Slightly dissapointed

Chod

Maybe the readers have not done any LDT ;)
Bit late, but you can get away with a normal map case for the road book, don't bother with a top box. Some people use a small tail pack. I prefer a small back pack.
trials tyres are good on the back, but I use an enduro tyre on the front.
don't be to dissapointed, it's sometimes a bit slow over here.
Have you tried TBMs forum?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:22 pm 
80 cc

Hello Chod. Did my first ever LDT on 2nd October - the Edinburgh long distance trial (confusingly run around the Peak District). I was with some lads I work with. They'd done it before and advised me what to take.

First, most important, breakdown cover from your friendly AA, or RAC, or Green Flag, or whatever.

I'm assuming you ride a fairly modern machine, and these are usually reliable. Things only break when you fall off or drop the bike, so take things like clutch and brake levers, bulbs, lens covers, spark plug, split links for the chain etc. I also take some silicone tape for repairing hoses and covering scraped electrical wires. Hand tools are a good idea for changing and tightening stuff and some means of either coping with a puncture or replacing the inner tube.

If you know you're going to be on your own, 'phone the organisers early on and ask if they can get you an experienced rider to go round with you. The MCC don't mind doing this (doesn't look good if a lone rider gets seriously lost or injured).

I put my stuff in water proof bags and strap them to my rear luggage rack. You have enough to do wrestling the bike around without carrying a heavy back pack.

I must stress that these are only my thoughts and other more experienced LDT riders probably have their own ideas. A final warning: LDTs are very addictive. I'm already entered for the Exeter in January!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:03 pm 
50 cc

Hi All,
Thanks for the pointers.
I took two bananas, three mars bars and two cans of red bull, I also took some Gaffa tape just in case the bike needed fixing!
Had an absolute ball! Didn't come last by a long way, which was far beyond my initial expectations. I too will be doing more LDT's they really are addictive and fantastically fun.
As far as what to take goes...............I came back with two Mars bars and a full tin of red bull, I did use the gaffa tape for sticking my numbers on the bike, and a makeshift holder for the bag I eventually stuffed my roadbook in.(A map holder from a tankbag did for me).
I had serviced and thoroughly gone over the bike before setting off. I had also filled the 'tubes with green slime. I don't know if it worked or wasn't needed.I had a puncture free event though.
I rode on MT43's front and rear ( 18psi and 15psi) which where far less aggressivley patterned than most of the competitors tyres.
I met a chap about half way round who seemed to be checking his roadbook at the same place and time as me on numerous occasions. We eventually rode together cutting the roadbook resposibility in half, and enjoying each others company.
Came off once at low speed, got stuck once and grinned throughout!
If you ever think about doing an LDT, go ahead and bite the bullet,they are great fun and very relaxed. I have a limited amount of 'off road' miles under my belt, (I do the odd simple green lane which my Mrs joined me on today on her 125 with 'L' plates) I did a course where I was trained by a Dakar racer for two days and I do ride about 20-25000 road miles a year.
That said I bought the bike I did the event on two weeks before and had probably done about 60 miles on it.
It could be done on a 125 with a big grin and a great day out! I have put a bit on you tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0K-GoR71F4.

Regards
Chod :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:05 pm 
200 cc

You should have a crack at the Sidcup clubs LDTs. :)
http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21284

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:50 am 
50 cc

I'd say your tyre pressures are way too high on trials tyres. The rear will find you loads of grip at about 5-8 lbs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:02 pm 
300 cc

Anyone out there got experience of LDTs on a moped - enduro moped that is? Are they within the rules?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]