TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: 37th Dave Rowland Trial - Derbyshire - 3rd July 2016
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:42 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Just to let you know that Manchester 17 MCC is holding the 37th Dave Rowland Trial in the beautiful Derbyshire countryside around the Buxton area.

If anybody would like to help out and Observe on the day then you would be made most welcome, please contact Ken Roberts 07977137018.

This promises to be a fantastic trial so if you want to watch some really skilful folk riding motorcycles over natural obstacles then please feel free to go along. The sections are all on private land for which approval has been given, many thanks to the land owners for their generosity.

Dave Rowland was a local lad, from Chapel En Le Frith, who was a works rider for BSA in the 1960's. He was a well respected rider who competed at the highest level of our sport. Take a look at the photos of the attached link to see the man in action plus some other really interesting photos of the time; http://www.bsaotter.com/brian_martin_an ... 15_ts.html

I have attached a 'zip' copy of the official programme which lists the sections, timings, etc. Let's hope that the weather is kind to everybody.

TTFN

Hugh.

Attachments:
February_2016_Trail.pdf.zip [1.47 MiB]
Downloaded 630 times

Post subject: Re: 37th Dave Rowland Trial - Derbyshire - 3rd July 2016
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:54 am 
125cc

Hi,ya Hugh it,s Wayne from new mills . Where is this trial,s on Sunday . Cheers Hugh . :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:41 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Silly me, the wrong file was attached to the original post but only eagle eyed Mr Irving noted my deliberate error :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hopefully, fingers crossed, I will have the correct file this time :shock:

I have had to attach it as a pdf zip file which I hope will open on your computers. Just in case it doesn't I have copied the riders' instructions.

Please bear in mind that all motor sport is dangerous and that not all of the interconnecting routes are on public roads SO do not follow the riders across open countryside, only they will have been given specific permission to ride and only they will be covered by the appropriate insurance.

THE THIRTY SEVENTH; DAVE ROWLAND TROPHY TRIAL, (Permit ACU 47640)
9.00 a.m. SUNDAY 3rd JULY 2016; Berry Bank Farm, Wildboarclough, Macclesfield,
Cheshire SK11 0BG

GRID REFS AND TIMES ARE APPROXIMATE. Those sectioned *** are the most suitable for spectators as they are easier to access walking.

Clough House (Sections 1 - 2) : OS Grid Ref SJ 989 697 First Man Due 9.05
A couple of soft ones to get you started, just below the ford and footbridge. It's an easy if stony walk up from the nearby car-park so handy if you're short of time or maybe not so steady.

Plantation *** (Sections 3 - 6) : OS Grid Ref SJ 995 698 First Man Due 9.20
A pleasant short stroll up the track to some slimy bedrock stream sections in a wooded valley and usually some good, muddy climbs on the far bank, as well. You can watch a lot from the track and then saunter on upwards. It's about .6 of a mile/1 kilometre from the road uphill to Ben's Ditch and

Cumberland Rivers.
Ben's Ditch *** (Sections 7 - 8) : OS Grid Ref SJ 996 698 First Man Due 9.50
A couple of bedrock and big boulder streams in a hollow below the waterfall, one with a step for the Experts. Very tight and not used often so likely to be very, very slippery. Marksnatchers if you're not careful. Attention riders on autopilot. To avoid a long road stretch and a couple of awkward junctions, the route to Scaurs now goes across country. After leaving Ben's Ditch, make sure you follow the correct marking at the corner (up the left hand gulley) and don't turn right to Cumberland Rivers or you'll miss out 6 sections. Check the route map. WATCH OUT FOR TWO-WAY TRAFFIC.

Ben’s Scaurs *** (Sections 9 - 12) : OS Grid Ref SJ 997 718 First Man Due 10.15
Stream in a deep cleft with big grippy rocks, just across the moor from the Cat & Fiddle pub. Cracking sections but they can be hard work for the club lads so we get it in early to make sure we don't kill them off too soon. Takes a few marks off the top lads, too. Whether on two feet or two wheels, CAUTION on the steep descent in, please!

Norman’s (Section 13 - 14) : OS Grid Ref SJ 993 707 First Man Due 10.45
Two subs here this time, making it worth the walk, especially as the first one is new, specially selected & cleared just for you by Scott Rowland and Andy Foot. Andy posted some interesting film of it on our Facebook Trials page so some of you will be forewarned. Bedrock slot stream but with a step and looks to be a lot of moss and green slimy stuff. There are likely to be walkers, mountain bikers and horses in the area between Cumberland and Clough House. Please be especially careful and considerate as regards other users.

Cumberland Rivers *** (Sections 15 - 17) : OS Grid Ref SJ 988 697 First Man Due 11.15
Nice natural stream in a hillside slot with bedrock steps and loose boulders. Excellent for spectators to park up and watch a few through. The middle one seems to have been a bit snotty last year.
Danebower/Reeve Edge *** (Sections 18 - 20) : OS Grid Ref SK 013 699 First Man Due 11.45
Good parking in the lay-by at the top. More gritstone only this time it's slabs with some smaller, loose stuff in old quarry workings either side of the stream. Or maybe they’ve decided to use the infamous Holt Farm gully with it’s steps.

PLEASE STICK CLOSELY TO THE MARKED ROUTE AND DO NOT RIDE ON THE MOORLAND.
1. GROUND NESTING BIRDS AND SENSITIVE MOORLAND. 2. OLD MINE SHAFTS.
Ride over the first and you might get shot. Ride over the second and you might not need it! No-one knows where they all were, not all were sealed as you might hope and every now and then a shaft opens up …

Cut-Thorn (Section 21 - 22) : OS Grid Ref SK 006 689 First man Due 12.10
Stream in a deep gully. Often accessed from under the small bridge over the stream just after the stock gate on the track to Three Shire Heads.

Three Shire Heads (Section 23) : OS Grid Ref SK 009 685 First Man Due 12.25
Near the old pack-horse bridges. Pretty but probably set wide and open and not too hard. Unless the river's up. It's a popular spot for Rangers, walkers, horse riders and other users: again, please be careful and courteous.

Hawk’s Nest *** (Sections 24 - 25) : OS Grid Ref SK 014 672 First Man Due 12.40
Run out of things to say about this place and most of you know it better than me anyway. Classic and a nice spot for just mooching around if it’s sunny. Loose grit and assorted gritstone blocks and grit bedrock on a gritty hillside with open views across the gritstone Peak landscape. Ample parking but access is down a narrow road and it's the only way in and out by car so care both ways, please. Take some heavy duty bug-spray!

Robinson's Rocks *** (Sections 26 - 27) : OS Grid Ref SK 015 671 First Man Due 12.55
Rocky stream and probably some muddy banks in the valley below Hawks Nest.

Barber's (Section 28) : OS Grid Ref SK 011 670 First Man Due 13.05
A stream with more rocks will be no surprise.

Manor Steps *** (Section 29 - 32) : OS Grid Ref SK 003 662 First Man Due 13.15
There was only one here last time but back up to four again, making it a worthwhile target to watch. Please don't go in the orange stuff by the way. The riders approach via the side road over the bridge. Spectators – please park tidily and don't block.

Manor Rocks *** (Sections 33 – 36) : OS Grid Ref SJ 996 664 First Man Due 13.40
Flat, broad stream at the bottom narrowing to a steep gully with big moss-covered rocks and a few strategically placed gorse bushes at the top, so plenty of scope for all sorts of fun.

Heath's & Sharpley's (Sections 37 – 38) : OS Grid Ref SJ 966 680 First Man Due 14.15
The dual name above means that, at time of writing, I'm not sure exactly what they're using. Probably something close to the access gate from the bottom and then up to the fine crop of big, gritstone boulders in the field. It's all just down the road from Hilda's.

Hilda's Gully (Section 39 – 40) : OS Grid Ref SJ 973 680 First Man Due 14.30
A steep-sided stream gully with a bedrock base, possibly slippery on the bank top at the (muddy?) exit. Shouldn't be too difficult, though, unless they do something rash. Small car park right by the gate!

Let's hope for decent weather, not too hot but dry at least. To those who go I am sure that you will enjoy the day.

TTFN

Hugh.

PS Wayne good to hear from you, long time no see.

Attachments:
DRTT 2016 Programme (page order).pdf.zip [1.26 MiB]
Downloaded 633 times

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:07 am 
650 cc Monster

Here is an overview map, I have marked green lines for routes that you may use.

Please do not ride Washgates tomorrow, by all means walk down, thanks.

Attachment:
DRT2016 resized colour.jpg
DRT2016 resized colour.jpg [ 330.96 KiB | Viewed 12344 times ]

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:24 am 
125cc

Cheers Hugh top man as ever :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:30 am 
125cc

Forgot to ask . How is our chairman these days . Hope all is well to you and all . :D :D :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]