TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Serow misfire.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:56 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

As some of you may have read a couple of weeks ago my normally reliable Serow had a day of being a naughty girl, not helped by my bashing and braking off a foot peg against a large rock.

The engine would run but very hesitantly, did not want to idle and gave all the symptoms of water in the float chamber, so once home off came the petrol tank and the carburettor.

I did not find any water but I did find lots of tiny pieces of debris in the float chamber. This was odd because only the week before I had serviced the bike and the carb had been thoroughly cleaned, after which the bike had run like a little sewing machine. Odd :oops: Tank off and drained; I removed the tap and found specks of dirt plus what looked like cotton threads :o around the tap filter of the tank :shock:

Whilst I had the carb stripped down again I noticed a thin black line around the neck of the air valve housing, a slight touch and the top section broke off :evil: At first I was told that a new replacement part was no longer available, searched for a used one but none to be found locally, recheck with a different Yamaha dealer, JT's of Swansea who were very helpful, and I was told that the part is available :D

I ordered a new part through Manchester Xtreme and today I fitted it. YES, with clean petrol the bike started and runs like it always has :lol: :lol: :lol: I have also taken the precaution of fitting an extra line filter between the tank and the carb.

Here are a few photos of the offending item;

Attachment:
brocken valve.jpg
brocken valve.jpg [ 134.36 KiB | Viewed 7473 times ]

Attachment:
new valve.jpg
new valve.jpg [ 314.88 KiB | Viewed 7473 times ]

Maybe this will help somebody else out there in the future.

Well let's see what happens on our next venture to chase worms around the Peak District, I reckon that I might even catch a couple now :mrgreen:

TTFN

Hugh.

Ps forgot to mention that I also installed line filters onto my rerouted breather pipes, over the top perhaps but it settles my mind - what there is of it :?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]