TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Battery conditioner without mains
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:17 pm 
80 cc

When I bought my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger, I contacted CTEK as I wanted to run it from an inverter whilst my bike was 'parked' in my van. CTEK told me the charger consumption was 60W.

That might help you work out how long your leisure battery will last if it's running a charger.

Have you thought of fitting a Lithium battery to the bike? they're supposed to hold their charge longer, although with your current battery discharging after 2 weeks, I would suspect a faulty cell or parasitic drain.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 am 
125cc

buy an isolator put it between the neg and battery so you can disconnect without takeing battery out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:41 pm 
300 cc

Put an ammeter between your disconnected + cable and the battery + terminal, with the bike turned off the reading should be zero. If not something is drawing current it will drain the battery. Try disconnecting items to see what is drawing current, alarms are a favourite. With no current draw a good battery should last for weeks between use. You should not need optimate etc unless you are leaving it unused for long periods (months+)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:03 pm 
650 cc Monster

Tribey wrote:
When I bought my CTEK MXS 5.0 charger, I contacted CTEK as I wanted to run it from an inverter whilst my bike was 'parked' in my van. CTEK told me the charger consumption was 60W.

That might help you work out how long your leisure battery will last if it's running a charger.

Have you thought of fitting a Lithium battery to the bike? they're supposed to hold their charge longer, although with your current battery discharging after 2 weeks, I would suspect a faulty cell or parasitic drain.

I have been reading scare stories about li-on batteries on bikes catching fire and that they don't last very long either.
Can't comment myself but it has put me off as they are very expensive anyway.

I don't mean to be rude but surely a tiny battery and small charger in the house can't be enough to prompt a divorce can they?
How do you charge the leisure battery anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 pm 
125cc

With my 96 amp hour battery only powering 12v energy saving bulbs at 24watts in total while I get my gear on in winter, it only needs charging once per year, I run an extension out and plug it in.

I might just get a new battery charge it, check of anything is draining it and see if it starts when I next get out. Letting it get flat once can't cause too much damage, surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:37 pm 
200 cc

Letting it go flat once is ok so long as it is not left in that state for any length of time. Otherwise it will sulphate the plates and the battery will be scrap.

Lead acid batteries need to be kept in a fully charged state for them to last.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:26 pm 
125cc

I tend to fill my batteries with 'Vidal Sassoon', great battery conditioner! :roll:

Because my KTM is worth it :lol:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2