TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thailand Trail Riding info ???
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:52 pm 
80 cc

Does any member know of any contacts in Thailand in the Krabi area we are hoping to visit early 2015 and would like to do some trail riding I have searched online and quite a bit of info but I really don't want to go with a commercial operator so any tips advice appreciated. :D

Post subject: Re: Thailand Trail Riding info ???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 pm 
300 cc

Hi Mate

I lived in Thailand for 5 years and learnt to trail ride there.

I would be surprised if you found a non-commercial operator that wanted to engage with you. I think this area's quite low in expat population and relies heavily on tourism.

In addition, there were a load of KDX bikes out there rented by Thais. And some XRs and CRMs mainly. (This is ten years ago) I rode a couple on the islands down south where you are thinking of but they were both absolutely crocked. The island riding itself was cool because there was basically a semi tarmac loop and as soon as you go off it, you are off-road whichever turn you take and wherever you go. It is not big enough to worry about getting lost. And the farmers don't seem to care if you rip through their fields either. The workers will just smile and wave. So you probably won't need a guide, just a gps to get you back to base. Hire a bike but hunt a good one down and go exploring. Gates, ramblers, rights of way and farmers with shotguns have not arrived there yet.

I was in the Pattaya enduro club and we used to meet every Sunday morning and would have probably welcomed you on a ride out with us. We had a guy called Manot who I believe is still the South East Asian champion and he must be over 40 by now! It was similar, so many trail you don't really need a guide.

I still have a 100 mile trail from Pattaya to Cambodia on my Garmin but it is one of those early ones where I can't seem to export the trail. And it is an absolute beauty of a trail. About 80% off road.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]