TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Are the government scamming me?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm 
300 cc

So here's the story.

I have my roadbike on a policy through Bennets as broker that was renewed with them begining of this year. In May when I went to buy new road tax on line it failed saying I had no valid insurance. So I phoned Bennett who confiirmed my policy was vaild and in effect, and said they would request the insurer put through a new update to the MIB (not the men in black :D ). So Iwen to the local post office a taxed the bike the old fashioned way with the paper insurcance cert. A few months pass now I get a letter from the DVLA warning me I had no record of insurance and would recive a penalty if I didn't get some :evil: So I call Bennets again tell what going on and they say they would ask the insurer to correct the error on the mib database again. Few more weeks pass and now I get a penalty letter from the DVLA, so I write back enclosing a copy of my insurance certificate and enclosing a written statement of events as above and advising I was insured, dispute the alagation I wasn't and invited them to contact my broker Bennetts to confirm the facts I had stated.

Today I got a reply basically saying they checked the mib again a find I have not insurance (of course that is what they will find as it has not be correctly updated :twisted: ). Seemingly they have made no effort to check Bennetts and have ignored the insurance certificate copy I sent them. They state I am still liable for a £100 penalty but will discount to £50 if I pay up sharpish. They end with the threat if I don't pay they will take me to court.

My inclanation is to say F*$!"FF take me to court, I've done nothing wrong. Anyone been here already, and have any sage advice? Of course I'll giving hell to Bennetts in the morning too.

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

Post subject: Re: Are the government scamming me?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:49 pm 

The fault is with bennetts.............it wont be the first time.

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:05 pm 
400 cc

I had the same thing happen to me [not with Bennets though], the problem in my case was I had 2 bikes on a "multibike policy" and the insurance company said a computer error only sent in the first bike on the policy to DVLC or whatever.

Notified the insurance company that if I incurred any finantial loss through fines etc. I would expect reimbursment in full [as the fault was theirs] and my business would go elswhere.

The anoying thing is I held a valid certificate of insurance for both bikes, and the insurance company confirmed this as well, but it was not showing on the database which I understand is the only place the authorities now check.

DON'T BE A MARIONETTE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:11 pm 
300 cc

That is interesting as mine is also a multibike but the other bike is SORN as I didn't get round to mot' ing and taxing it this year.

I guess my thoughts are just because they only check the MiB database does not change the fact I have insurance so have committed any offence. So paying the fixed penalty even if I get it refunded by the broker is an admission of guilt to something I have not done.

As point principal I feel paying up is wrong, and it is another cost if paid by the broker that will put our premiums up to cover their loss.
:-(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 pm 

Always good to do your own check a week after renewing.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:34 pm 
300 cc

Agreed Red, but if you read what to do if there is no record on the MiB it says contact your insurer. I did that twice already without resolution. I told the DVLA this and there is no other options to get it corrected.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:41 pm 
400 cc

I didn't pay any fine or penalty, I advised the database people that I was insured and it was a problem with the insurance company not informing them, and fortunately after a lot of complaining [not been satisfied with customer services excuses and going higher up the pecking order each time] it was resolved to my satisfaction.

DON'T BE A MARIONETTE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:52 pm 
650 cc Monster

Off topic....but...was just about to renew my policy,was with Bennetts....Nearly £300 (up on last year) including RAC cover...on a CRF250X (Only had bike licence for a year)...shopped around...£89 with no breakdown (only £30 anyways) from Motorcycles Only (or summit like that)....Change your insurance every year....!..ask Martin Lewis...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:16 pm 
200 cc

akendall1966 wrote:
So Iwen to the local post office a taxed the bike the old fashioned way with the paper insurcance cert. ...........
so I write back enclosing a copy of my insurance certificate and enclosing a written statement of events as above and advising I was insured, dispute the alagation I wasn't and invited them to contact my broker Bennetts to confirm the facts I had stated.........
My inclanation is to say F*$!"FF take me to court, I've done nothing wrong.

Sounds like you have got no worries at all. As long as the document you are referring to is a Certificate of Insurance, not just a Cover Note, then you have proof of insurance and a Court should tell the DVLA to 'ram it'.

The requirement is for you to have motor insurance, not for you to ensure that you are on the database - that is someone else's problem.

Write again to the DVLA informing them, once again, that you have proof of insurance, you have no intention of paying a fine for an offence that has not been committed and inviting them to either cancel the fine or take you to court.

Tough it out, you are in the right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 pm 
300 cc

Hi,

Yes I have a a insurance cert that identifies me as the policy holder and the policy holders the one that's covered, also explicitly identifies the bike by registration number. So I am absolutely convinced I am complaint with Sec 22 of the Road Safety Act 2006.

But the DVLA know that cause I sent them a copy. The fact they are trying to induce me to pay a fixed penalty for an offense they have no evidence I have committed is why I say it's a scam. So you're right they can stick their fixed penalty 'up their Swansea' I'll have my day in court if it ever get there.

Having spoke to Bennetts this morning and getting the same "we'll put through a request to update it"; point blank refusal to get a supervisor to handle my call; then being told the complaints department don't have a phone. It clear they don't give a monkeys about the position they have put me in.

I expect to top it all off I'll get knocked off by an uninsured driver just to prove all this continuous insurance business is ineffective anyway.

AK - CAMBS TRF
CCM404E

Last edited by akendall1966 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next