TRF Forums

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Riding in Sussex
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:38 am 
50 cc

Hi - I have ridden road bikes for many years but am keen to get stuck into some trail riding - I live in Eastbourne and wondered if anyone knows if there are good accessible routes around this area? I am also looking for a bike fit for purpose - as a complete newbie to trail riding does anyone have any suggestions for under £2000?

Post subject: Re: Riding in Sussex
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:56 pm 
125cc

Hi Jimmy. Good to hear you fancy getting stuck into trail riding. You need to ask your local group contact about lanes in Sussex - click on Groups on the TRF website, there is a link hidden right at the bottom "fully group details", click through and you'll find your Sussex contact. I'm part of the neighbouring South London and Surrey group, as far as I know parts of Sussex are completely devoid of byways you can used, but not sure about your exact area. But there are lots of lanes in Hampshire and Surrey. Check out the surrey website for tips on bikes. http://www.surreytrf.org.uk/ (Lots of excellent advice on there, better than the main site.) I only passed my test recently so have a Yamaha DT125, which I love and which does the job, is light to pick up when you drop it etc, etc and you'll certainly get one for your budget. But you'll probably want to get a 250 or 450. Good luck and have fun!
Steven.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:00 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hi -there's 44miles of byways in east sussex plus some UCR's.
Contact sussex trf - I'm happy to show you local routes.

Technical Director

KTM 690 Enduro R

Husqvarna TE250 2014

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:49 am 
650 cc Monster

Jonpaul1st kindly took me out, as a beginner, a few weeks ago and we are planning another run next week hopefully when we can sort out dates.

Everything we rode the other day was within about 15 miles of Eastbourne (Beddingham along to Pevensey Marsh via Hailsham) and I have been up to the Kent group to do some of the Pilgrims Way routes as well. (Kent are nearer/slightly easier for me to get to as a group than Sussex).

I have just bought a 2004 Yamaha WR450 for £1900.
I could have got 250's cheaper but I will have to ride to the lanes so think a 13 stone guy doing 40+ road miles would find the 250 a bit wearing when my road bike is a 950!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:49 am 
200 cc

Which is when the right choice of tyres is important.

Pirelli MT21s are good for equal tarmac/mud use, so long as you have security/rim locks fitted for when you need to reduce the pressures for better grip.I used these for ages on my XR400 until Bridgestone 661/660 came along.I found these had a better self-cleaning ability than other tyres.

My brother in Telscomb uses Michelin AC10 on his KTM450 whereas I prefer Pirelli MT83 Scorpian enduros for the moment...until something else comes along.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:22 pm 
50 cc

[quote="jonpaul1st"]Hi -there's 44miles of byways in east sussex plus some UCR's.
Contact sussex trf - I'm happy to show you local routes.

Thanks jonpaul for that info and for the offer to show me the local routes - I'd appreciate that and will be in touch as soon as i get my ride sorted. Cheers J

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:27 pm 
50 cc

davidscott wrote:
Jonpaul1st kindly took me out, as a beginner, a few weeks ago and we are planning another run next week hopefully when we can sort out dates.

Everything we rode the other day was within about 15 miles of Eastbourne (Beddingham along to Pevensey Marsh via Hailsham) and I have been up to the Kent group to do some of the Pilgrims Way routes as well. (Kent are nearer/slightly easier for me to get to as a group than Sussex).

I have just bought a 2004 Yamaha WR450 for £1900.
I could have got 250's cheaper but I will have to ride to the lanes so think a 13 stone guy doing 40+ road miles would find the 250 a bit wearing when my road bike is a 950!!

Cheers for that - I have been looking at the WR450 also - have read a few reviews and my road bikes have always been Yamaha so have a slight bias towards them so it's looking favourite - how have you found the WR450? Did you buy it locally?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:30 pm 
200 cc

Hi, one of my mates is sell a DRZ 400e for £1800.
Not sure on all the details but I can find out
if your interested mate.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]