TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: starting to get started
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:23 pm 
50 cc

Hi im looking for some advice. :D
I have got myself a Kawasaki kx 125 1998 and im in the motions of converting it to a road legal bike. i need to get my bike licence and i need help in going the right route in getting the type i need to get myself on the go so i can get out there and learn the ropes.
Any help will be most appreciated thanks

Post subject: Re: starting to get started
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:36 am 

It sounds like you've got your hands full there, with plenty to do.

What needs doing on the bike to make it road legal? I don't know KX125s, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to offer some advice.

As far as getting your licence is concerned, there are 3 main options:
1) Do the test on a bike with <125cc and power of up to 14.6 bhp and get an A1 licence, which will limit you to small bikes forever, unless you do another test
2) Do the test on a bike with 120-125cc which is capable of 60 mph and get a category A licence. After that, you will be limited to two years of riding a bike of up to 33 bhp and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 bhp/kg, after which you can ride any size of bike that you can insure :D
3) If you're over 21, do the Direct Access test on a 46 bhp bike, and immediately ride any bike that the insurers will let you get away with.

If you reach 21 and are in the 2 year probationary period, you can also do Accelerated Access, which is basically doing the Direct Access test, and passing that again allows you to ride any size of bike.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:54 pm 
80 cc

Womble wrote:
It sounds like you've got your hands full there, with plenty to do.

What needs doing on the bike to make it road legal? I don't know KX125s, but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to offer some advice.

As far as getting your licence is concerned, there are 3 main options:
1) Do the test on a bike with <125cc and power of up to 14.6 bhp and get an A1 licence, which will limit you to small bikes forever, unless you do another test
2) Do the test on a bike with 120-125cc which is capable of 60 mph and get a category A licence. After that, you will be limited to two years of riding a bike of up to 33 bhp and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.2 bhp/kg, after which you can ride any size of bike that you can insure :D
3) If you're over 21, do the Direct Access test on a 46 bhp bike, and immediately ride any bike that the insurers will let you get away with.

If you reach 21 and are in the 2 year probationary period, you can also do Accelerated Access, which is basically doing the Direct Access test, and passing that again allows you to ride any size of bike.

lets hope he/she does :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 pm 

:lol: The morning coffee hadn't quite started working at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35 pm 
200 cc

The KX is first and foremost a motocross machine, and as such has no road legal bits on it at all. It is also probably a bit highly strung for use on the road, and you may well have problems getting it into a road legal positition.
Would it not be easier to sell it as it is and to buy yourself a bike that is already made for trail riding?
For the KX you would need to register it with your local office...this involves quite a bit of paperwork as it would not be on the DVLA list of known vehicles with road going equipment.

Then you would need a MoT...if the garage that you take it to has not done many 'daytime' Mots before, then this will cause a few headaches for you and for them.

But for such a MoT you will need a horn with a continuous tone and a number plate/brakelight. If you have switchgear for a headlight, you will need such a unit, as well as a rear light. To have lights you will need a lighting coil.For this you will have to buy an adapter plate to mount not only your ignition coil but also the lighting coil.Then you will need a bigger rotor to induce sufficient EMF into your lighting coil to get enough power to light your headlight,tail-light and horn.
You will also need a speedo for a full MoT,in which case you will need a driver for the front wheel pickup.There are magnetic ones,which you will then need to calibrate.
Have you got 19" rear tyres? In which case you are limited for choice on road legal tyres that will fit that size rim.You could have the hub relaced with a 18" rim, then you might have to change the gearing to suit, as what is good for a two-stroke off road bike is not necessarily good for a road legal trail machine.
As the 125 is a bit highly strung as a motocross bike,you will need a quieter exhaust, as well as more regular rebuilds.They are meant for occasional bursts of full throttle in 3rd gear, but on the road you may well be riding at full throttle in 3rd for far longer than on a race track.

Good luck if you still want to use your bike for road use.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:12 pm 
200 cc

Hi,
I would agree with the above post (Tim G)
I was going to road reg my mx bike but it was to much hassle.
The kx is a great mx, but not so good on the lanes.
Sorry mate not what you wanted to hear but best find out before you
go to far with it.

Duncan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:39 pm 
125cc

A mate and I did his CRF 230. It was easy, lighting kit, horn and check the tyres are for highway use.
Also he had to write to Honda with the frame and engine number to get a certificate of age for the purpose of registration.
MOT'd it at the local bike shop.
DVLA at Worcester didn't even want to see the bike. The form was easy to complete, along with the MOT and certificate of age and they issued the number plate straight away.

'92 Honda XR 250 for green lane grins
'98 Honda VTR Firestorm for tarmac grins

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]