TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: new rider
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:23 pm 
50 cc

Hi thinking of doing some trail riding, ive got an xt660r has any body got any experience of these bikes of road
cheers
Jim

Post subject: Re: new rider
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:36 pm 
300 cc

Ah the large XTs i have ridden them for about the last 20 years.off road they are heavy cumbersome and slow an ideal TRAIL bike, i bought my first to tour Eygpt with thoughts of India by boat but it did not work out and did eygpt instead, my current xt is a TT600e had it for about 8 years, the only problem with the 660 is the underslung exhaust it will need lots of protection and i would advise the most aggresive road legal trail tyre you can find for the front wheel because they do wash out very quickly with a rubbish front rubber apart from that ENJOY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 am 
80 cc

Hi Tim,
No point beating about the bush Tim, your bike is probably one of the most unsuitable for trail riding other than on very flat, grippy firm ground.
The "ideal" bike needs to be light, nimble, easy to handle with good traction front and rear, no vunerable bits sticking out. Unfortunately your bike is none of these.
Why not treat yourself to something much smaller and have a great time.
Barry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:55 am 
400 cc

Jim

Barry has a point but I wouldn't give up on the big XT just yet.

You don't say where abouts you are but most places will have a mix of trails varying from the mild to the extreme. If your willing to take it easy and maybee walk a bit first to see what it's like you can explore green lanes on pretty much any bike.

Of course a bigger, heavier, more road biased bike will be harder work on technical trails but you can either revell in the challenge ( 8-) 8-) 8-) ) or just stick to easier routes (which might be wiser to be honest).

Either way though don't go away thinking that you've got to sell the XT before you can do a bit of gentle trail riding. I've ridden trails on road bikes (two up on a TR1 with luggage down the Ridgeway was probably a bit un wise though) and I know others who have done this too.

My advice would be get in touch with your local TRF Group for some advice on gentle trails and have a go. See how you like it. If you think wow this is fun but the bikes a real handful then think about changing it.

I'd definitely have a go first, just exercise some common sense. The XT is a big bike and if you get it stuck or drop it on yourself you could have problems. The trick I think will be to choose your routes carefully but you certainly don't need th elatest hot shot enduro weapon just go trail riding.

Cheers

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:57 am 
125cc

Hi Tim,

I bought an XT660R a few years ago and tried it off road and really struggled. I sold it and bought a WR450F.

However, thinking about it now, I think if I'd stuck with it I'd have been ok, it'll never be a WR or a CRF but they're good bikes and if you're reasonably fit (I'm not) and don't try going up Everest on it you'll be fine.

BTW, I now have an R1150GS as well as the WR and that's way heavier than an XT and is a lot of fun on the less extreme trails. I think it really comes down to what sort of riding you want to do.

If you're anywhere near the midlands give me a shout and we'll have an XT / GS day out!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:15 pm 
50 cc

ive had everyhting offorad from a honda c90 a mz125 through to a cr500 and trust me theres nothing wrong with an xt600 having had 1 previously and taken it places you wouldnt have believed ! and ive drove a beta 250 sum weird places lol there excellent if you need to cover a decent distance to rweach your offroading destination and i found the extra weight helped with traction tbh im 6ft 2" about 18stone and in a flat out dragrace againt my m8 on a dr350 i mullerd him on blackpool beach ! same in the woods would always bite though the leaf litter whereas the dr was left spinning the rear going nowhere

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:30 pm 
50 cc

Hey Thanks for all the good advice guys, i'm going to get a metal mule single silencer for the xt that should give me some ground clearance and save on some pounds its about ready for tyres also so if anybody can surgest something i'm all ears, i live in north lincs so i'll get in touch with the Lincon group hopefull they will know some good local stuff, i've owned this bike nearly five years and ridden it all over even to Fort William and Lock Ness just never Off Road, i'm only 5-8 on a tall day so don't how this will effect any off roading on this bike but any more tips would be greatly apprciated
cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:39 pm 

You probably don't need any really sophisticated rubber - Pirelli MT21s should be about right for your 660. I had a set on my DR650 and it certainly wasn't the tyres that were the limiting factor :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:55 pm 
300 cc

i second that ! i use mt21 S on my 650 xchallenge, great tyres , about 1000 miles on a front, &500 miles on a rear mixed road?off road

1955 ajs 350 single scrambler

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]