TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Triumph Tiger
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:25 pm 
300 cc

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction for information on running and riding my newly acquired '04 Tiger? I've seen main dealer service prices and am not impressed. I'm ok at servicing bikes but have never owned one that's fuel injected. The websites I've found so far are either dealer based or very individualised ie not enough service info. just loads of stuff on 'extras' etc. Thanks in anticipation.

Post subject: Re: Triumph Tiger
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Have you looked at the tiger 1050 forum. Although it covers 1050's, I am sure you will find plenty of members who have previously owned tiger 955's

I have a 1050 just out of interest. Supberb bit of kit.

Link is
www.tiger1050.com
register and look at the forum
Regards

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 pm 
300 cc

try, adventure rider.com

1955 ajs 350 single scrambler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:44 pm 
80 cc

Yep, friendly bunch on the Tiger 1050 site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:36 pm 
50 cc

hey mate i'm a mechanic myself and if haynes do a manual fo one get it. it's suprisin how much infomation is in them little babys from normal easy stuff to the more technical. i have had a manual for every vehicle i have eve owned apart from my new enduro bike but that's only cos i've just got it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:28 am 
125cc

Hi Steve,
Where are you?
I've owned my 955i Tiger since new in Aug2002. It's now covered 58500 trouble free miles and I do all my own servicing and, really, it's not difficult at all. It can be time consuming because it's quite a strip down to get to things like the spark plugs. That's why the dealer servicing costs are so high. Typically around £400 for a 12K service.
Don't worry about the efi because it doesn't go wrong and all you have to do is occassionally balance the throttle bodies which sounds technical but is really just the same as balancing a set of carbs and can be done using a set of vacuum gauges.
All the rest is just normal bike maintenance stuff.

Forums:-
http://tigertriple.com/forum/
http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger/
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ight=tiger
You'll find me as "blacktiger" on all of them.

If you need any help PM me.

P.S. I love my Tigger. It must be the most underrated bike out there but it's so capable. And that engine... oh! Suit you sir!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:32 pm 
300 cc

Thanks, Blacktiger. Yes, the Tiger engine was a revelation. I sold my last R100gs afew years ago as it sounded as if it was always going to break mechanically which was gutting having owned loads of air cooled beemers before (and being a mechanically sympathetic rider). I'm logged on to tigertriple.com now who seem like a friendly bunch. The only thing that really bothers me is the valve shims having never done this before, the thread on tigertriple is concise but I notice it took 5 weeks for the poor guy to shim it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 pm 
125cc

steve cartwright wrote:
The only thing that really bothers me is the valve shims having never done this before, the thread on tigertriple is concise but I notice it took 5 weeks for the poor guy to shim it!

The shims should be readily available from your nearest Triumph dealer. Shouldn't take much more than a couple of days. The 5 week wait was probably because he was in a remote part of the USA. I'm pretty sure it hasn't but check with your dealer to see if the '06 has a different cylinder head to the earlier ones. I do know they changed the cases to the 1050cc engine. If the shims are on top of the buckets it's pretty straight forward with no special tools needed.
Most of those on TigerTriple forum are in the USA so you have to watch how you write things and the units you use such as mpg because their gallon is different to ours.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]