TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Novice ref bike choice and trail routes?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:00 pm 
50 cc

Hi there. I find this bit embarrassing but here goes! I have ridden roadbikes all my life but have had heart issues and fitted with an ICD (defibrillator) which will shock my heart if it goes into abnormal rythyms. Not nice!! As such i have decided to sell my superbike as risk of shock at speed on the road isn't worth thinking about!!! I bought a trials sherco 290 and go with my pal to cowm but i'm dont think its for me. No seat and the medication for my heart means everything is slowed down to try and avoid more shocks (had 8 in last 14 months). So heres the rub. I want to do easy trail riding and my two nearest TRF clubs are Lancs at Mawdesley and Manchester at Bredbury, but looking at Manchester pics on their web it looks bit daunting. I plan to get husky te310 as im 6ft and 18stone!! Would this be good choice ? Many regards :oops:

Post subject: Re: Novice ref bike choice and trail routes?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:01 am 
200 cc

Both groups should offer runs for novices on easier going.

Yes the 310 is a great bike. Enough grunt to plod along up and over most things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:28 am 
650 cc Monster

I'm in the Manchester group. We ride mainly in the Peak District. As a beginner 9 months ago I found it hard but eventually it gets easier. There are easy trails but we often look for some challenging ones as well. We also do beginners rideouts so you could try one of those first. We meet twice each month. The second and fourth Monday from 9pm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:07 pm 
200 cc

Has the 310 got an electric starter, as this can make a big differance when stuck on the side of a steep hill with a flooded carb.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 pm 
125cc

Just come along to a meeting and have a chat (tonight if its not too late notice), also have a look at our forum....

http://lancashiretrf.free-forums.org/

We do have regular "beginners" runs (as most groups do). We had a few new starters last month and our rep Keith took them out. You will also find that there will be someone close by that will be willing to take you out on an easy run. Where abouts are you?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 pm 
80 cc

Hi Basse....

Just want to say welcome to the world of off road riding. Thought I would metion a few things that might help.

i know lots of guys from the TRF Manchester group, and they are good guys who will make you feel welcome and hel you with nice routes. so give them a call.

The photos will look really off putting as you have never done it but there are a few things that can make off road hard work.

1. not having the right technique.
this causes the rider to use loads of energy and will cause arm pump (tired muscles) very fast which then leads to falls as you cant use the controls well enough.

2. not really understanding and believing what the machine can really do, most riders just stat riding without training, then after years of doing it get wise and get some training only to find out that they could have made life so much easier by just getting the training first.

3. if you are going to be a sitter rather than a stander (some riders stand up all the time) then looking at bikes with nice seats would be a wise idea. Honda xr for example have really good seats. KTM's although my fav bikes have the worst seats in the world.

4. Going too slow due to not having the confidents to ride faster as they think they will fall off if it gets too bumpy. (riding a a nice pace make all the little bumps go away and is much easier than riding slow)

Get some training, then any bike you buy will work better as you will know how to ride it better, and that will save you energy, pain and picking your bike up every 2 mins.

Last point!

Dont ride to the point of exhaustion, this is what causes most falls. rest lots between sections, this allows you to make even tough trails easy as you are able to look ahead and operate the controls better. As soon as you get too tired things go bad bad bad.

hope this helps
tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:58 pm 
50 cc

Thank you all for your help and support !! I live in Newton le Willows. Think I will go for te310 Husky.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:05 pm 
400 cc

I have no idea what the Husky 310 goes like (well apart from what TBM said about it) but even if you don't get on with it you could always mount it on your wall as a piece of art work.

One of the most beautiful motorcycles currently available I reckon.

Mind you, I'm a bit weird like that ;)

I once wanted to make a coffee table out of a GSX1100 katana engine.

The wife soon put a stop to that stupidity :oops:

Cheers

Richard

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]