TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Electrics
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:46 pm 
80 cc

I am looking at getting an XT350 once i have sold my garden ornament,a mini.
I need to know if the XT is fitted with 12 volt electrics,due to use in traffic for indicators,lights etc,i hate 6 volt..
Or a DR 350,XL 250 etc could be also concidered

Post subject: Re: Electrics
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:41 pm 
200 cc

As far as I can remember there are two versions of the venerable XT350...one with kicker only & one with both...both getting on a bit in age.

The Honda XL250 of a recent age will be a Jap Grey import & so spare parts may be an issue.

The Suzuki DR350 has a number of variants, from the early kick only to the last electric only version. They also did an 'enduro' version that was kick only, though these are quite rare nowadays.A Welsh guide had one fitted with a 385cc piston kit which was more livley than a standard version.It is at this stage that the handling then becomes the next item to be modified.
My brother had a DR350S-EX (electric only)...up until he sold it to buy a KTM 450. He rode mine up in Wales & was hooked.
A friend has a DR350S that was a pig to start as it has a temperamental CV carb which can give starting problems.He has now relegated this to the back of his garage, replaced by a DRZ400E, which, although heavier, is the ideal for many people...with a quiet insert in the silencer.Suzuki say that because of its popularity it has been re-introduced to their lineup.
The DRZ400S comes with all of the normal attachments that one would get if you had to use the bike for commuting...indicators,electric start,decent clocks,key switch etc. This may be the better machine as there are a few around at a good price.

Post subject: Re: Electrics
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:50 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for the reply.
I like the old classic traillies.My first was a DT50M,passed my test on a DR125S,had use of a DT175 twin shock(had use of the moto-x track at the quarry i worked at-excellent bike,wheelies etc),My last bike after 12 years without one was a Kawa GT550,which didnt cut the mustard.
So when the mini is sold,i will be looking to get something from the 80,s period.
Real not retro....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]