TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Towing a bike trailer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:21 pm 

Hi all,
have just bought a bike trailer so need to get a tow bar fitted to the car. Main dealer is silly money (£600) and the local chap (recommended via TRF chair) won't touch my Saab 9-3 Aero because he got caught out with one a few years ago.
I'm in the Oxfordshire area, anyone got any contacts for a reliable towbar fitter pls?

cheers
axa

Post subject: Re: Towing a bike trailer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:45 pm 
80 cc

Hi, if you google towbars it should put up a company that comes out to your home to fit them sorry con not think of the name.
Cheers

jim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 am 
80 cc

Towbar Express?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 pm 
125cc

If you are slightly mechanically minded they are fairly simple to fit yourself. I have fitted four in the last six years, you can get them new for around £75-100 on eBay. Towequipe are pretty good and sell via a website too.

The only slightly difficult thing with newer cars is a lot have voltage drop detection systems and you cannot always splice the electrics straight into the lighting circuit, so you have to take a feed directly from the battery and fit a bypass relay. Again not too difficult if you can read a simple wiring diagram. The suppliers normally send decent fitting instructions.

Whats special about the SAAB? Multiplex wiring can sometimes be tricky (if it has it) but no bother for any reputable fitter.

If you are not confident, there are usually mobile fitters on Yell or the Yellow pages who will fit it at your home and a lot cheaper than main dealers. Caravan dealers also usually have a fitter or can recommend one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:25 pm 
80 cc

I just fitted a towbar on my Volvo,took me about 3 1/2 hours,had to remove bumper,but straight forward.
Electrics i also done myself after careful studying of wiring diagram,a fitter recommended the by-pass relay even on a 97 year car,i even got a buzzer for the indicators,tells you they are working.
My tow bar was made by witter,good clear instructions and straight forward wiring diagram.
Paid 115 quid via ebay including delivery and by-pass relay.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:53 pm 
50 cc

Have you looked at "witter"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]