TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What is the minimum legal equipment a motorcycle needs?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:10 pm 
80 cc

I have just registered with a view to joining the TRF when I get my bike in a week or so. I am getting a DRZ 400E which is registered (V5) and has current road tax. However, the dealer is selling it as an off road bike and I cannot seem to find a definitive list of the minimum equipment needed to make it road legal. To complicate matters, the items tested for MOT purposes may be different from construction & use regulations, so although a bike may have a valid MOT, that apparently, does not guarantee the bike is road legal. My research so far indicates that a horn is the only requirement but I am still unsure. I know that a bike used exclusively during daylight hours does not need lights but does it need a brake light or rear reflector fitted? Can anyone confirm the requirements and more importantly, point me in the direction of the relevant regulations and/or legislation? It would be useful to keep a copy in my jacket pocket in anticipation of the inevitable pull by Plod because from experience they do not invite debate or argument. I would feel more comfortable with an 'official' list to hand over.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: What is the minimum legal equipment a motorcycle needs?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:21 pm 
650 cc Monster

As it's an enduro bike, it's exempt from C&U and Type Approval. It will say 'enduro' on the relevant sections of the V5.

However you must still have working brakes, suitable tyres (speed rated), good wheel and suspension bearings etc. No need for a chainguard or mirrors providing you don't have pillion footrests.

You can get a 'daylight only' MOT.

But, if any lights are fitted they must all work (inc dip beam).

No need for a stoplight if there are no other lights.

You do need a reflector (I think), but can just get a stick-on one and fix it to the numberplate.

Fit a full-size no plate (cops hate the little ones).

Oh, and make sure it's got a proper silencer: the stock one is horribly loud and actually illegal even for off-road enduros.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 am 
80 cc

I had the same issues with my DRZ400e. No indicators, brake lights, mirrors or lights required , but must have a horn and a speedo. I used a vapour for speed as they are cheap. I did however fit a brake light using goodridge pressure switches and a DRC LED tailunit with numberplate holder as I had a nasty experience with a kid hitting me from behind in a mk4 cortina and I still have the Limp to remind me.. for the MOT you will have to tape over the headlight as it is a fixed beam on the DRZ and therefore when taped up is classed as 'not fitted at time of test' which will be anotated on the VOSA system.
I had a similar set-up on a Q plated RM250 which I also rode on the lanes. My best advice is to take you bike to a Offroad sympathetic MOT tester who understands the Use of the bike.

If I remember a CRD exhaust is a little quieter than standard and doesnt restrict power to much.

Hope this helps

For the MOT you will need a full size plate obviously but I always fit a 7X5 with a standard font and touch wood havent had any issues with the police as yet.

I do think its a lot on how you ride in built up area's as to how much attention you receive by the Fuzz. I try to keep the speed down and ride a high gear in these area's.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:37 pm 
80 cc

I have had an email from a helpful chap at VOSA. In addition to a registration plate and current road tax a motorcycle must have:
1. a horn (electric not a rubber-bulb type job)
2. a speedometer (capable of showing KPH & MPH for bikes registered after 1984)

Lights are not required during daylight hours but any fitted should be taped or painted over & not capable of quick connection to an electricity supply.

reflector or brake lights not required

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:40 pm 

Ummm

agree with all the above but mine did get mot without speedo

mot recorded mileage N/A

however I think the first post was about being legal....an MOT does not not always mean its road legal

Ie mot rear plate can be smaller if clearly legiable..and no speedo....but it not legal....strange but true I guess

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]