TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Instaling OS maps onto Garmin montana 610
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:10 pm 
50 cc

I have just bought a new Garmin Montana 610 .
I set it up as per the instructions. base camp can see the OS 1:50 uk maps but 610 keeps saying cant unlock Maps.
Firm ware is up to date and I reset the Sat Nav but still getting the same error
installing maps from base camp says no locked maps to unlock.
when exploring the Map's menu on the 610 under the list of maps its not listing the OS maps on the SD card , BUT base camp can see them.
any help would fantastic
PLEASE AND THX
Mark

Post subject: Instaling OS maps onto Garmin montana 610
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:34 am 
300 cc

Is the map card genuine?? Garmin will only read a genuine sd card with maps when inserted in the device. You can’t load map on them so to speak they’re read from the card.

If there is a sd card issue it will say “can’t unlock maps” when device boots up. If it boots up and doesn’t say this then go into maps and setup maps and make sure os maps are enabled.

Basecamp will read copied sd cards and show maps but they won’t show on the device unless they’re genuine.

I’ve a spare garmin os 1:50k sd card if you’re in need. £45 posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by smokinrider on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Instaling OS maps onto Garmin montana 610
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:44 am 
300 cc

The other thing is check the sd card is seated right. I found when you go to lock it in it moves slightly and doesn’t sit correctly in its holder.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 am 
125cc

I found exactly the same as smokinrider. I have had one genuine Garmin SD card that worked for a couple of years then stopped, it gives the same message as you are getting. I would say if you are using a genuine Garmin SD card - it's faulty.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:03 am 
50 cc

smokinrider wrote:
Is the map card genuine?? Garmin will only read a genuine sd card with maps when inserted in the device. You can’t load map on them so to speak they’re read from the card.

If there is a sd card issue it will say “can’t unlock maps” when device boots up. If it boots up and doesn’t say this then go into maps and setup maps and make sure os maps are enabled.

Basecamp will read copied sd cards and show maps but they won’t show on the device unless they’re genuine.

I’ve a spare garmin os 1:50k sd card if you’re in need. £45 posted.

Hi h
yes its the Genuine SD card came with the unit sealed and
in a box
THX
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am 
50 cc

Vern wrote:
I found exactly the same as smokinrider. I have had one genuine Garmin SD card that worked for a couple of years then stopped, it gives the same message as you are getting. I would say if you are using a genuine Garmin SD card - it's faulty.

Have spent some time on the Phone with garmin and they are saying its the unit , they are sending me a new one today.
so not sure what will happen . i think it could be the card lol .
watch this space

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:09 am 
50 cc

well well well
The power of the TRF
have just come off the phone with garmin and when i told them that a lot of people are saying its the card they are now agreeing that its the SD Card and thanked me for the help from the TRF.
new downloading new maps from Garmin Site fingers crossed
THX
EVERYONE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:39 am 
300 cc

Well done, I seem to recall it was plug and play on mine, don’t recall having to activate the map on basecamp or register the device so dodgy card is hopefully what’s up.

What you can do, to save the aggro of taking card from device and putting it in the pc, or having to plug the device into the pc to get the maps to show on basecamp every time is this.

Create a folder on your desk top and copy and paste the map info from the sd card into it. (Copy and paste not cut and paste!). Then remove the genuine sd card and insert a blank sd card into the pc. Copy and paste the desk top file to that in a folder called garmin that you have created.

This copied sd card can then stay in the pc permanently. This way basecamp can read the copied card and show the maps without the need to plug the device or genuine card in.

The copied card only works in basecamp but saves a bit of faff every time you want to use base camp.

Of course if you get to keep your faulty sd card you can just keep that in the pc all the time.

Btw basecamp only reads os maps from the sd card. No way I’ve found to load them permanent into it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 pm 
50 cc

BIG BIG THANK YOU
Its working THX everyone :D :D :D :D :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]