TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Travel insurance for bike tour
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:06 pm 
125cc

I wonder whether anyone could recommend a reputable insurance company that might, just might, consider providing half-decent travel cover for a trip to India I have planned please? Departing UK end of Nov, returning early Mar. First 10 days will be on a guided tour (to bed in - including with the Royal Enfield), then 2.5months riding the same bike (I hope) NE to NW before ending up in New Delhi. Riding solo but with a back-up vehicle/mechanic (well it is a Royal Enfield).
Most insurance companies seem to object to anything over 125cc and more than 15 days duration. Not helpful.
Still trawling the interweb but any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Travel insurance for bike tour
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:28 pm 
300 cc

Few covertly when you intend to ride bikes over 125. The ones who offer travel insurance cover do so only if you ride your bike for the whole trip. Ie ride to India and then tour on your bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 pm 
125cc

No idea but that sounds like a great trip..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 pm 
650 cc Monster

My standard LV= / Brittania Rescue covered me for my two week Blazing Trails trip in India for travel insurance. There were riding experience requirements for 500cc and you had to wear proper gear so no shorts and flip flops.

Not sure if there would be issues with that duration but has to be worth a call.

We did the Himalayan Foothills and some of the riding is 'interesting'. One guy bent his forks twice on the first day, the second by riding off a big drop.

Great fun but good insurance is vital.

Not sure about the bit on your own.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:32 pm 
200 cc

I highly recommend covered2go http://www.covered2go.co.uk/travel-insurance/ I have used them on a number of occasions for biking trips. If you opt for Activity Pack 3 it specifically covers 'off road motorcycling up to 250cc'. If you are not 'off road' you are automatically covered for any bike you are licenced to ride without opting for the additional Activity Pack. They also cover trips up to 18 months duration.

On the other side of the coin, avoid Dogtag http://www.dogtag.co.uk/ I recently insured an off road trip in Andorra with them rather than covered2go because I didn't want to have to lie about the size of bike (300cc). I had a crash needing hospital treatment and their so-called 'emergency team' were useless; they actively prevented me getting treatment for a number of hours while they struggled to get their sh1t together. Not something you need when you are smashed up and in A&E in a foreign hospital.

The trip sounds great - have a good 'un.

Colin B

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 pm 
80 cc

I have used Holidaysafe.co.uk for a number of years. They do specific motor cycle cover and we have ridden across Europe and also in USA, New Zealand and Thailand. Had to make a claim and it was sorted out very professionally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:16 pm 
50 cc

Ringo wrote:
I have used Holidaysafe.co.uk for a number of years. They do specific motor cycle cover and we have ridden across Europe and also in USA, New Zealand and Thailand. Had to make a claim and it was sorted out very professionally.

+1 for Holidaysafe have used them for extended trips around Europe in countries which are
excluded by others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm 
200 cc

I love it when people ask for advice and then, when they get it, make no response at all :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:22 pm 
125cc

Well cee-b, its like this; some of us are hard at work and are trying to plan a trip whilst balancing the needs of family, work, DIY, the vagaries of Mr Trump, SORNing my bikes, putting domestic arrangements in place and seeking world peace. Up to this point I haven't had the chance of responding and I very much regret that. But now it's a Saturday morning and I have a moment.

So thank you all for your constructive comments and suggestions. I will certainly avoid Dogtag (I consider negative info is just as vital and relevant as recommendations) and am in the process of sourcing the best company to provide me with realistic insurance. Holidaysafe, Navigator and poss Boots (!) seem to be the front runners. But I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm 
200 cc

TimRB wrote:
Well cee-b, its like this; some of us are hard at work and are trying to plan a trip whilst balancing the needs of family, work, DIY, the vagaries of Mr Trump, SORNing my bikes, putting domestic arrangements in place and seeking world peace. Up to this point I haven't had the chance of responding and I very much regret that. But now it's a Saturday morning and I have a moment.

So thank you all for your constructive comments and suggestions. I will certainly avoid Dogtag (I consider negative info is just as vital and relevant as recommendations) and am in the process of sourcing the best company to provide me with realistic insurance. Holidaysafe, Navigator and poss Boots (!) seem to be the front runners. But I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again.

Fair cop guv - sorry about my petulant comment

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next