TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: New boots
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:39 pm 

I have 2 pairs of these, one for trail riding and one for adventure riding

Comfy and water proof

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/106707

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm 
80 cc

Adrian, think about the tread pattern also. For MX as you'll know you'll not want much tread to avoid snagging your feet in the corners. On green lanes you'll want tread to help footing.
I have just bought some Forma Adventures and had Forma Grippers before that lasted me about ten years for trials riding. They are still OK but starting to leak in the padded front angle area. Still do the occasional trial but mostly now green laning. I wanted something that was comfortable to walk in with a decent tread and provide a degree of protection and waterproof. Paid £185 and well pleased.
The Adventures are only my third pair of boots in nearly 40 years. My first boots were Alpinestars and I made the mistake of buying a MX sole when I was doing trials!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:49 pm 
50 cc

So Forma Adventures then, a good green laning boot and MX?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 pm 
80 cc

As you're an MX rider you're probably a good green lane rider so less likely to get into trouble on the lanes. If that's the case and you want a degree if comfort as well as protection then yes Forma Adventure would be a good choice for green laning. I think so.

I've not done MX so I'm less qualified to comment here. My guess is if you're only doing the odd MX and your not a full on rider then you could use the Forma Aventure for that too.

Best option is obviously two sets of boots with different tread pattern but cost may inhibit this.

If you already have a set of boots then go for the opposite tread pattern in a new set of boots. Alternatively get boots with the right tread pattern for the hobby you do most. If you do MX the most then Forma Adventure would not be the best choice.

Just my twopennyworth.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:53 am 
200 cc

I use:
Sidi crossfire for best protection.
Tech 7 for comfort and reasonable protection.
Sidi Adventures for some protection + excellent comfort and waterproof.
Forma Adventures.... For bike cleaning only!

One pair for all? Tech 7 Enduro. (but not waterproof and no protection to Achilles tendon.... So dont run over yourself!)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 am 
200 cc

Edit. The Forma gives very, very little protection. Certainly not enough for mx use. You will get broken ankles/feet.
Also, the soles aren't up to proper use on serrated pegs.
Bike cleaning, gardening, and old-man bimbling only!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:52 pm 
50 cc

1200RT wrote:
I use:
Sidi crossfire for best protection.
Tech 7 for comfort and reasonable protection.
Sidi Adventures for some protection + excellent comfort and waterproof.
Forma Adventures.... For bike cleaning only!

One pair for all? Tech 7 Enduro. (but not waterproof and no protection to Achilles tendon.... So dont run over yourself!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This made me laugh. So i'm no die hard MX rider, but want a good allrounder so Tech 7 seems to review well.

Thanks for the honest rview to Husqvarney - useful advice!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:30 pm 
80 cc

Depends on what you want to spend and the type of riding your up for ,

currently running a couple of pairs of sidi crosssfires , good boots and fairly dry for the Uk weather, but you still need Goretex socks in winter but maybe a touch higher in the price range than you want to pay .

Also got a pair of the latest Alpinestar 1 boots on the go , just used them for the best part of a thousand miles trail of riding in Spain and Cyprus , no problems at all .

Used loads of Alpinestar 5/7 in the past and these ones are almost as good as the older type 7 boots , stitched soles making a smaller boot (less clumsy) with plenty of room in the toe area compared to the Sidi crossfires .

Currently the Alpinestar 1 is on offer around £120 mark on eBay , If you have a big budget take a good look around , see what's on offer but don't forget this boot just because it's only an Alpinestar 1 and a low budget , it might just be the boot for you !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:56 am 
50 cc

Ok so I have read this thread and am still none the wiser as to the best boot to buy. Maybe because I am so used to buying waterproof boots !

I will be using them for 70% off road green lanes and 30% on road touring, and my budget would stretch to £300.

I hate wet feet hence why I always buy waterproof boots, never used waterproof socks though. Question is if you have waterproof trousers over the boot, would water if it was high enough get into the boot ?

So I have thought about Sidi Adventure 2, Alpinestars Toucan, Sidi Crossfire, Forma Adventure,
TXC Comp Evo Michelin Motorcross & Enduro

Love to hear your thoughts :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:03 am 
300 cc

Everyone's opinions will be different. I use O'Neil boots that cost £100 and waterproof seal skin socks that cost £35.

Leggings over the trousers will stop splashes getting in your boot but that's it. Put a foot down in a river and you'll still fill your boots up.

Horses for courses and all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next