TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: puncture proofing
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 pm 
50 cc

hi all
new TRF member.
had my first off road ride in wales today, went great, my worry was getting a puncture.
thinking about using mousses, but open to other suggestions, I do use the bike on road quite a bit!! CRF250L
is their anyone in the wigan, st helens, warrington areas that fit mousses, I am in process of choosing new tyres so could get done at same time. Any suggestions for tyres which will be fine off and on road.

thanks
mike

Post subject: Re: puncture proofing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am 
400 cc

Learn how to change a tube, in the long term

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:05 pm 
200 cc

Tubliss are a great option. dirtbiketest.com/product-tests/nuetech-tubliss-gen-2-0 (sorry, this hasn't worked as a link but just cut'n'paste it in your browser)

No problem with them overheating on the road as mousses can if not sufficiently lubed. Cheaper than mousses and, though they are not total proof against punctures, punctures can be plugged in minutes without removing wheels/tyres or the tyre can be ridden completely flat in order to complete the ride.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:40 pm 
50 cc

thanks folks, decided will have a go myself changing tubes, bought new rear tyre, tube and levers, bead buddy etc, when arrive will give it a go.

I have accidently ordered a 19" rear tube rather than 18", Michelin UHD, will this be a problem or should I send back and get the 18". thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 pm 
125cc

mikemph wrote:
thanks folks, decided will have a go myself changing tubes, bought new rear tyre, tube and levers, bead buddy etc, when arrive will give it a go.

I have accidently ordered a 19" rear tube rather than 18", Michelin UHD, will this be a problem or should I send back and get the 18". thanks

Send it back! A 19 in an 18 is fine to get you out of trouble, but it will buckle up and be way out of balance.
I only had 2 punctures with Mich UHD tubes in many years of riding- One a front snake bite pinch which involved changing a tube, and the other a tiny slice in a rear. The UHD's tend to leak very slowly, so in this case I just pumped it up every hour for the afternoon.
Mousses all the way now!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:16 pm 
50 cc

thanks
have ordered the 18" and will send the 19" back when arrives.

will be using oko or slime as well unless a really bad idea??

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:15 am 
80 cc

I am reasonably good at tyre changing at home, but the thought of doing it on a muddy trail in the rain is not attractive, nor is carrying levers and lube etc, so I run 4mm tubes with OKO XT slime stuff inside..... It's specific for off road bikes.
I also carry some very big zip ties to hold the tyre on the rim which would get me to a road and the services of the AA if required.
If I were venturing across the Sahara it would be different, but I am never more than 2 or 3 miles from a road.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:50 pm 
650 cc Monster

With security bolts and proper tyres, I've ridden for miles with a deflated tyre. You just go very carefully.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:19 pm 
50 cc

thanks folks, will add some zip ties to my arsenal!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:52 pm 
125cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
With security bolts and proper tyres, I've ridden for miles with a deflated tyre. You just go very carefully.

But that depends on what tyre. A soft walled tyre will just fold up and buckle, and are impossible to ride on unless doing walking pace with both feet sliding on the ground!
A hard walled tyre will generally run true until it starts to break up, when it then behaves like a soft walled tyre.

When my TE300 was new, I kept the condom thickness tubes in it until the first tyre change. 2 Days of trail riding in Devon, and made the fatal mistake of mentioning the 'P' word at the Sunday lunch stop. 1/2 hour later...................... nail in tyre!
So decided to do a 12 mile slow road burn back to the vans. The Michelin Comp 3 was fine for about 3 miles, then started to break up, and crabbed badly under any amount of throttle. By the time we got back, the bike was virtually unrideable

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next