TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:03 pm 
Offline
80 cc

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm
Posts: 21
bike accelerates through the gears power all fine gets into top gear and looses power struggles to get 60 mph on the road
anyone with any idea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:25 pm 
Offline
650 cc Monster
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Fuel shortage maybe ;)

_________________
drop a gear and get out of here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
80 cc

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm
Posts: 21
mancchair wrote:
Fuel shortage maybe ;)

yes it could well be thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:36 pm 
Offline
650 cc Monster
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
First check has to be breather on tank, then check for good flow at tap and any in line filters etc (carefully) then maybe carb off and clean jets with aerosol carb or brake cleaner :)
Maybe worth changing plug first and checking cap ok ;)

_________________
drop a gear and get out of here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 pm 
Offline
80 cc

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm
Posts: 21
mancchair wrote:
First check has to be breather on tank, then check for good flow at tap and any in line filters etc (carefully) then maybe carb off and clean jets with aerosol carb or brake cleaner :)
Maybe worth changing plug first and checking cap ok ;)

thanks will check that apart from carb its the efi model


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline
300 cc

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 508
hamish1 wrote:
mancchair wrote:
First check has to be breather on tank, then check for good flow at tap and any in line filters etc (carefully) then maybe carb off and clean jets with aerosol carb or brake cleaner :)
Maybe worth changing plug first and checking cap ok ;)

thanks will check that apart from carb its the efi model


Hamish

Has this fault just developed, or has it always done this?
The EFI road registered models come "restricted"
Most dealers take the restrictions off as a matter of course, but my understanding is they are not meant to until after xyz hours of running in period.
The symptoms are exactly how my early EFI Husqvarna behaved until the restriction was removed.

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline
80 cc

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm
Posts: 21
LILY wrote:
hamish1 wrote:
mancchair wrote:
First check has to be breather on tank, then check for good flow at tap and any in line filters etc (carefully) then maybe carb off and clean jets with aerosol carb or brake cleaner :)
Maybe worth changing plug first and checking cap ok ;)

thanks will check that apart from carb its the efi model


Hamish

Has this fault just developed, or has it always done this?
The EFI road registered models come "restricted"
Most dealers take the restrictions off as a matter of course, but my understanding is they are not meant to until after xyz hours of running in period.
The symptoms are exactly how my early EFI Husqvarna behaved until the restriction was removed.

Steve
Hi Steve thanks for that i will get that one checked out


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 pm 
Offline
650 cc Monster
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:39 pm
Posts: 1804
Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
Fuel injection now that does move the goalposts :shock:

_________________
drop a gear and get out of here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:10 pm 
Offline
300 cc

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 11:38 pm
Posts: 508
hamish1 wrote:
Hi Steve thanks for that i will get that one checked out


I can dig out the bag of bits that I was given and send you an image if needed.

I seem to remember it's a straightforward physical restriction on the throttle i.e.a piece of plastic that prevents full twisting.
I have a lambda sensor in the bag, which must have been removed or swapped.
Also some sort of gauze thing about the size of a 10pence piece which I would guess came out of the exhaust

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ktm exc 500
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:38 pm 
Offline
80 cc

Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:30 pm
Posts: 21
LILY wrote:
hamish1 wrote:
Hi Steve thanks for that i will get that one checked out


I can dig out the bag of bits that I was given and send you an image if needed.

I seem to remember it's a straightforward physical restriction on the throttle i.e.a piece of plastic that prevents full twisting.
I have a lambda sensor in the bag, which must have been removed or swapped.
Also some sort of gauze thing about the size of a 10pence piece which I would guess came out of the exhaust

Steve

thanks steve email for pic is evanhamish@aol.com

it defo seem like a restricter could be the problem as when you knock it down a gear its fine,like its not getting enough fuel when at full throttle in 6th


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!