TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which GPS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:08 pm 
80 cc

Advice please
which is the best GPS to go for without breaking the bank too much
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Which GPS
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:23 pm 
125cc

Satmap active 10. Used one for 3 or 4 years
Not as complex as a garmin but does everything you need.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:31 am 
125cc

I've had an Active 10 for around 6 or 7 years, and used it a lot on my enduro bike and mountain bike. It's been very good, but not as good as a Garmin. The Satmap suffers from a very hard to read screen in bright light, especially when the outer (and inner screen) get scratched.
Since the active 10, Satmap have only managed an upgrade to the active 12, which is just a facelift. In this time-frame, Garmin have kept up with the pace of technology, and produced devices like the Montana, which is far superior.
Unless Satmap come out with an all singing all dancing device very soon, they are finished. Technology is moving along at warp factor 9 speed, and Satmap are not keeping up. Shame as the active 10 was a brilliant GPS in it's day.
Saying that, they still work well and seem to be reliable, so some good second hand bargains to be had on eBay. I wouldn't be paying £hundreds for this old technology brand new. I got my active 10 off eBay with full UK OS maps installed for £185. RRP at the time was £500! At the price I paid, I seriously got my monies worth out of it, and still use it regularly. I do a lot of night riding, so the screen issue is not so much of a problem, so will probably only upgrade to a Garmin when the Satmap fails.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:23 pm 
300 cc

I've found that sharing gpx files created in sat map don't always transfer to garmin basecamp and need to be fettled in gpsvisualier first.

I love the garmin and it does more than I'll ever need. Most who don't like it would get on better with it if they got to know it better by playing with its features. The 600 from go outdoors with the os maps is a deal.

You don't really need map updates because most lanes dont change and closures and restrictions will never show on a map. (That's the info you have to update and record yourself on your overlay) Once you have a proper overlay for your area stored in basecamp then plotting and transferring tracks and routes is plain sailing. You don't need all the lanes marked on the actual device if you're just following a route or track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 pm 
125cc

Satmap active 10,
I have used one for around the last 7 years , in that time I have also tried various other makes but always went back to the satmap .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:40 am 
125cc

Like many others the Montana is my choice BUT you need to use it with a powered mount. The screen can be difficult to see if not backlit and this eats battery life. OS 1:50000 mapping works well and the free Basecamp download (from Garmin) is easy to use.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:16 pm 
125cc

+1, as above

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:31 pm 
300 cc

Montanas the nuts, but Id have to disagree with the powered mount argument.

Never had an issue, backlight time out set to 10 seconds and at junctions or whenever I need to see the screen clearer you just finger it and it lights up. Rode 8 hours Saturday with no backlight and yes its not as clear but you can see where you're heading, even in bright sun. (but I use portrait not landscape so I can see more or the route which is set to track up)

In an ideal world i'd get round to fitting the powered mount but haven't seen the need as yet. I have 2 batteries and a mate with a powered mount who can swap batteries and recharge me if needed on the trail.

using the light as and when means a full charge easily lasts all day. Saturday I set off with 75% and got home 8 hrs later with 25%. I was following a blind trail that id never ridden so there was a lot of poking the screen to see where the track went.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:12 pm 
125cc

bluezie wrote:
I've had an Active 10 for around 6 or 7 years, and used it a lot on my enduro bike and mountain bike. It's been very good, but not as good as a Garmin. The Satmap suffers from a very hard to read screen in bright light, especially when the outer (and inner screen) get scratched.
Since the active 10, Satmap have only managed an upgrade to the active 12, which is just a facelift. In this time-frame, Garmin have kept up with the pace of technology, and produced devices like the Montana, which is far superior.
Unless Satmap come out with an all singing all dancing device very soon, they are finished. Technology is moving along at warp factor 9 speed, and Satmap are not keeping up. Shame as the active 10 was a brilliant GPS in it's day.
Saying that, they still work well and seem to be reliable, so some good second hand bargains to be had on eBay. I wouldn't be paying £hundreds for this old technology brand new. I got my active 10 off eBay with full UK OS maps installed for £185. RRP at the time was £500! At the price I paid, I seriously got my monies worth out of it, and still use it regularly. I do a lot of night riding, so the screen issue is not so much of a problem, so will probably only upgrade to a Garmin when the Satmap fails.

Well hot off the press as an addition to the above, Satmap are bringing out a completely new device!

https://satmap.com/active-20

It looks up to date on paper, so we will have to see how it shapes up and goes against the Garmin units.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:13 am 
300 cc

Do you have a smart phone?

If so you can have a look at http://www.viewranger.com/en-GB

It's a satnav app for most smart phones.

You can sign up/register for free to http://my.viewranger.com/

You can plan a route on the free online maps and save it to your phone. The phone app is free.

Take a look at the web site and watch the videos. It works very well and although I have purchased all the UK OS 1:50,000 maps you can also use the very good open source maps you can view and download from myviewranger.

I purchased a water and shock proof handlebar case for my iPhone5. Also a charger cable and anti surge box that connects directly to my bike battery or the yellow and earth cables to your headlamp. It's all water proof and charges your phone when the bike is running, clips on and off the handlebar is seconds. About £25 from Ebay for the charger and cable and bar mount and about £15 for the waterproof case. They make one for most smart phones.

I can plan a route from scratch on myviewranger and sync it to the phone in seconds. I can also switch between off road (BOATS and UCRs) and surfaced roads and it's like a normal sat nav. Also records routes for use later when you are out on a TRF ride. Works on the open source maps that show normal roads and BOATS/UCRs so you can follow both types of road on a planned ride.

I also used it on holiday in Crete using the free downloadable open source maps for some mountain dirt road routes. You can also create your own area maps using satellite images and save them to the phone memory to act just like any other map for free, but only stays in the phone memory for 9 weeks.

sounds complicated but it isn't and works very well for trail riding. Just check the routes are legal first ;)

You can then share them via the myviewranger web site.

I've dropped the bike several times, in a river, in the snow, in the sand, on rocks (I'm an expert at that) with no damage and no water ingress to the phone.

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/1 ... s-l225.jpg

2005 KTM 525MXC (34,000 miles so far)
2005 KTM 250EXC (11,500 miles so far)
BMW R100 awaiting time to convert to 1980's HPN GS PD Replica.
All useful parts wanted ;)
Need :USD DRZ E front end complete & GS petrol tank.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]