TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: DRZ suspension overhaul
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:17 pm 
80 cc

Hi guys,

Whilst doing some work on my 2002 DRZ 400, I finally had to admit to myself that my suspension is well past it's sell by date.

If I put it into a dealer to sort the rear suspension, new shock, new fork springs etc, does anyone have an idea of how much it might cost?

A ball park figure here. I don't do enduro or racing so don't need top of the range stuff.

Regards,

Stefan

Post subject: Re: DRZ suspension overhaul
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:29 pm 
300 cc

Question is why?

Fork springs will be about £80-100 a pair. To refurb each leg will be about £50 depending on if you need bushes.

Rear which will be about £150 to refurb plus £80 for a new spring. Whilst you're spending money you better factor in £100-£150 to replace all the linkage bushes and bearings and swing arm bearings.

TBH you won't need new springs in either the forks or the shock as being a Drz they're designed to cater for a wide weight range.

And unless either the forks or shock are leaking don't waste your money. If something's siezed or breaks or if bushes are no longer available for the rear shock you could be looking at a big bill.
And you'll still end up with drz suspension which is ok for gentle trail riding but a bit stretched if you want to push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:38 pm 
80 cc

Why? - The suspension is worn out, just trying to be responsible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:14 pm 
650 cc Monster

Most of this work you can do yourself with hand tools and the Clymer manual. There's also on-line instructional vids.

If the fork seals aren't leaking, just change the fork oil...you will be amazed at the difference fresh oil will make. On a trail bike, you should change the fork oil every year. If the seals are leaking, then change the bushes as well: it's easy and they just snap in and out.

You can take the opportunity to fine-tune the fork to your taste: thicker oil = more damping. More oil = stiffer fork.

If the springs are too saggy, you can get new ones and drop them in http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/suzuki ... 00-07.html £84!

If the shock is knackered, you can get it reconditioned or exchanged. Or buy a relatively low-cost replacement

£300 for this one (made in UK) just bolts on

http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/catalog/p ... tno=M63043

which can be rebuilt by the manufacturer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:55 am 
125cc

smokinrider wrote:
And unless either the forks or shock are leaking don't waste your money. If something's siezed or breaks or if bushes are no longer available for the rear shock you could be looking at a big bill.
And you'll still end up with drz suspension which is ok for gentle trail riding but a bit stretched if you want to push it.

Sorry Andy, gonna have to argue with you on this. :shock: :lol:

A few years ago, I talked to Chris at Dr Shox about my DRZ forks because I had figured that after 10 years of being trail-ridden hard in Wales, Devon, Normandy, Spain, competing in enduros and even a few plays on MX tracks, they maybe needed a sort out. He said that although he wouldn't be able to get them to behave like a modern fork (cheeky bugger), I would certainly notice the improvement.

So off they went for a service, re-valve and new springs.

At the time, we were riding our Nellie's days quite regularly, the track was very familiar to me and the first ride with my fettled shocks was back there.

Bloody Hell, it was a new bike !!!.
Somehow the front end was firmer but more plush. The fast, flinty bit of the track didn't shake my teeth out and my old tractor was now landing jumps superbly too. The 180 bend could now be taken at twice the speed with the front end planted and the bike power drifting. (my "E" was pretty well sorted engine wise)

It has been said by others but, money spent on suspension setup is the best money you can spend on a bike.

I can fully recommend Dr Shox as far as results are concerned. He can work magic without wasting your money on unnecessary kit parts or upgrades like some people fit. I know a few people who've had their suspension sorted by him and non have been disappointed. I must advise though, he is really crap at communication; doesn't often, or even ever answer emails and you'll struggle to get him on the phone. But, fill out the form on his website, box up your bits and send them off (don't forget you want to make sure your parcel is tracked and adequately insured) Wait patiently for a few weeks and a new bike will arrive in a box.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:57 am 
300 cc

No argument Colin.
The voice of your recent experience far out weighs my assumed, is it worth it, opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 am 
125cc

smokinrider wrote:
No argument Colin.
The voice of your recent experience far out weighs my assumed, is it worth it, opinion.

I suppose it does come down to pennies. If you've got an up to date bike that's pretty fresh then all's good, but if you scan spare a couple of hundred quid then just maybe an old shitter can be given a new lease of life.

Talking of old shitters, I got the forks back for the stinkwheel yesterday and should get my re-rimmed wheels back next week !!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]