TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bristol Noob
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:26 pm 
50 cc

Hi TRF

My name is Darren, and I've just signed up.

I've been riding bikes from the age of 13, and road bikes from age 16. I'm now 50, and really fancy getting into green laning, but haven't yet decided on which bike to go for. I have a ZZR1400 for the road, and originally thought about something like a TTR600 for green laning. There doen't semm to be many TTR600's around, and for similar money I could go for something lighter, like a WR450f, or maybe a KTM 450. I'm no light-weight being 17.5 stone, so don't want anything I'll get bored with too soon. Any pointers greatly welcomed!

Cheers,
Darren.

Post subject: Re: Bristol Noob
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 pm 

Hello and welcome from East Sussex

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:54 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Welcome too from the Manchester Group :D

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:17 pm 
125cc

Hello & Welcome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:59 pm 
80 cc

Hello and welcome Darren. It seems quite common that experienced road riders think they need something like a 600 when they start trail riding,like anything smaller will see them going back to the days of a 250 on L plates. Your choice of bike should depend on your trail riding experience and the kind of trail riding you want to do but my advice to any novice would be small and light to start with, when the going gets tough I think you'll be glad your not riding some 600 enduro.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:30 pm 
80 cc

sum1964 wrote:
Hello and welcome Darren. It seems quite common that experienced road riders think they need something like a 600 when they start trail riding,like anything smaller will see them going back to the days of a 250 on L plates. Your choice of bike should depend on your trail riding experience and the kind of trail riding you want to do but my advice to any novice would be small and light to start with, when the going gets tough I think you'll be glad your not riding some 600 enduro.

I agree with This , Especially if your short of leg ...!
We have A "meet The TRF Stand "
At Wickwar Enduro Track south Glous on the 7th May come along say hello , sit on a few bikes see what you think ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:22 am 
50 cc

Andy Howes wrote:
sum1964 wrote:

I agree with This , Especially if your short of leg ...!
We have A "meet The TRF Stand "
At Wickwar Enduro Track south Glous on the 7th May come along say hello , sit on a few bikes see what you think ...

Thanks for the welcome all.

I'll most likely only have once chance at buying a bike for this... I already have two bikes in for restoration and the ZZR for a daily. Don't think the missus will approve further budget once purchased - I'm struggling to get a P.O. for this one! ;o)

I hear what you're saying about a 600 being too big, and I suspect the TTR would be far to heavy for a beginner. Having looked into it further, I also suspect running something like a WRf would also involve a lot of maintenance with oil & filter changes every 10 hours, etc.

Wickwar is not far from me (Bradley Stoke), but I'll not be able to make that date (prior commitments). Is there another meet soon after?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm 
80 cc

Hi And welcome,

don't be put off by the quoted service intervals, if your not racing and mainly trial riding then these can be relaxed. the quoted 10/20 hours are mainly for people racing bikes as they are often on the extremes of engine power, after all if you were running your ZZR and Bruntingthorp every weekend you'd be wanting to change the oil in that more often too!!

250, 300 or 350 is the max you'll ever need.

get in touch with Central Bristol TRF, there a great bunch and will offer lots of help.

jmc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:16 pm 
80 cc

I've run an WR250F for the past 2 years and a WR450F for a year before that. As JMC says, trail riding isn't competition riding. My maintanance regime consists mainly of: ride it / wash it / lube the chain / put it away. It's recently had a set of brake pads (after 5k miles, new spark plug (just in case) and valves checked (still in spec from new)). The manual says change the oil and filter every 3 months or 1800 miles. I do mine every 1000 miles just to keep my hand in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:01 pm 
80 cc

I'm 17 stone and my Husky 310 has more than enough power to get me through any track (South Wales, Cotswolds and Devon). As said in other posts think very carefully about seat height. Think about when you need to put your foot down on the downhill side on a cambered track as you invariably will eventually.

Think also about the kit you will need. Second hand is a good place to start, you can always upgrade if you get serious!

Think about how you will get to your first track on any ride. Do you have a van or trailer? If not that is one reason to buy a slightly larger capacity bike. Don't go too big though as you will regret it on the trails when you're tired and need to pick it up. As a newbie if you haven't ridden tracks before be very careful about what bike you buy too heavy and unwieldy and you risk being put off on your first ride.

Oh and expect your first ride to be a rude awakening (unless it's just riding some forest tracks). Mine was even though I'd had 38 years of trials experience. You won't then be disheartened.

I've not regretted it after 7 months.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next