TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fuel dripping from DRZ 400
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:50 am 
80 cc

Hi guys,

I have recently acquired a DRZ400 and love it. It goes really well, and seems to have no real problems. I have put in a new battery, brake pads and fluid, changed the oil and filter and a few "tasteful" cosmetic alterations.

I have noticed this morning that when getting my R1 out to go to work, I saw a small patch underneath the DRZ. It is definitely unleaded. It is right in the "middle" of the bike where the few overflow pipes pop out.

I assume it's not an overflow from the fuel tank because that's not full. So it must be some kind of overflow from the carb at a guess? A complete stab in the dark there.

Forgive my ignorance, all my previous bikes have been FI (CBR600, ZX6r, R6, R1 etc) so really don't know or understand anything about the dark art of carburetion.

Considering that the bike is running really well, and the patch of fuel on the floor is smaller than one of my hand spans, is this something I need to worry about? Carburettors look quite complicated with lots of things to go wrong so am loathe to remove it, although I will give anything a try once. I'm sure with carburetors it's one fo those jobs where once you've done it once, it's easy after that.

It's probably the original 2002 carburetor in the bike seeing as it has done less than 5000 miles.

Thanks in advance,

Tel.

PS as a side note, I have been leaving the fuel tap in the on position when putting the bike away. Could this cause the bike to drip fuel when stored in the garage?

Post subject: Re: Fuel dripping from DRZ 400
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:36 am 
300 cc

There are 3 reasons. 1) the needle valve in the carb is not seating correctly as it's got some crud under it or is worn, allowing the float bowl to over fill.

2) the brass needle seat has an o ring which seals it to the alloy body of the carb. This fails and let's fuel through even though the needle is seated.

3) the floats are damaged and not floating/set at the right height (this is highly unlikely if the bikes been running fine and this has only just started happening. )

Either strip the carb and get a needle valve repair kit or just try cleaning it. TBH as the carb is off and the kit is probably only £20 I'd replace it anyway as you've got the carb off and it's probably never been done , so it's one less thing to fail in the future.

Also when you park the bike, turn the fuel OFF. You should be doing this anyway to be on the safe side and avoid any overflow should either of the above happen.

The only other thing could be that the side stand leans the bike over too far if it's bent or worn, causing the float bowl to overfill. Turning the fuel off will prevent this happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:20 pm 
125cc

I had this on my DRZ once when I forgot to turn the tap off...I didn't worry too much about it just tried to remember to turn the tap off when I left it...but now some months later it seems to have sorted its self out, just a bit of crap in there I suspect..so I wouldn't worry too much about stripping the carb down just yet, see what happens..:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings, I always switch the petrol tap off and run the engine until it 'runs dry' before switching the ignition off.

Let us know how you get on.

TTFN

Hugh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm 
125cc

Some good advice / hints and tips have been giving by others .
Turn fuel tap off, drain the carb using the the drain screw normally a flat headed screwdriver fitment on side of carb .
Then if the bike still drops fuel an internal inspection is required , but sounds like just leaving fuel tap on with bike on stand has overfilled the float bowl.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:42 pm 
80 cc

Check the fuel tap, if the diaphragm is damaged it will let fuel through the tap even in the off position. Common problem with the stock tap. Change to a yamaha raptor quad tap or any "mechanical" on/off switch. Obviously the carbs float would need to be sticking as well for the fuel to leak on the floor.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:09 am 
80 cc

Like I said, carbs seem veey complicated so am unwilling to take it off because I don't think the bike would ever run right again if I did. So I have been turning the fuel to OFF when parking he bike up in the garage, and the patch seems to have disappeared. Thanks for your help.

Also - in response to the guy who mentioned the side stand, yes it does lean over quite far on the side stand, I never realised that this could cause fuel to leak from the carb.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]