TRF Forums

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MOT, Advisory notice: off road machine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:29 pm 
80 cc

Hi all,
I've just bought a bike. I'm about to go pick it up, I've looked at the MOT and it says in the "Advisory notice":off road machine
Does it mean anything specific?
I'm a bit concerned I'll not be able to ride the bike on the road.

Thank you!

Attachments:
ktm_mot.png
ktm_mot.png [ 23.93 KiB | Viewed 11150 times ]

Post subject: Re: MOT, Advisory notice: off road machine
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:46 pm 
300 cc

if no indicators are fitted it could be off road exemption
Quote:
Exemptions If direction indicators are fitted they must meet the requirements of this inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which
! cannot exceed 30mph / 50kph, or ! was first used before 1 August 1986, or ! off road motor bicycles that are designed to carry only the rider

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:37 pm 
650 cc Monster

I believe it means that you don't need things like: Indicators, mirrors, passenger seat strap/grab rail (providing no passenger footpegs are fitted) and chainguard (although you still need a cover on the gearbox output sprocket) to pass the test.

Nothing to stop you putting any of that equipment on if you wish, though. And it it is fitted, it must be 'serviceable'..ie it has to work.

The V5 for my GasGas Pampera has the words "Enduro exempt" in the space where the Type Approval number should be.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:39 pm 
650 cc Monster

But in answer to your original query, the MoT is still valid for highway use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:15 pm 
300 cc

No vehicles need lights. But if they don't have any then the tester will advise Daytime use only. The rule is If the lights are fitted they need to work. Ie if no indicators no problem, same with headlights and tail and brake lights.
If they're there they all need to work. Its all or none in so far as lights go. If you have a brake light, you must have a headlight and tail light as well. Also if you have an indicator switch you need working indicators. (technically)

"off road" or homologated "enduro" machines don't have rear pegs and aren't allowed to carry pillions (even if you fit your own pegs, as they were only designed for a solo rider. Modern huskys with the plastic rear subframe certainly wouldn't like a passenger on board!).

Anyway.
In answer to your question.
Its an observation, It is because "enduro bikes" are exempt from certain rules like a certificate of conformity. (things that normal bikes need to comply with in order to be registered or to pass an iva msva test etc. Exemptions include things like seat height over 900 mm ground clearance over 310 mm etc)

I've never seen that written on an MOT and I've no idea why he even bothered putting it on it. Its an MOT and therefore the bike is MOT'd for road use. Regardless of the advisories.

For full details of the motorcycle MOT test you can refer to the following.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... es-1-2.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:33 pm 
125cc

You worry too much :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm 
650 cc Monster

Yeah my tester just says 'well it's a dirt bike' when I point out all the non working stuff on mine....thing is, if you get out enough most stuff will be 'dirt biked' into submission....don't sweat the small stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:16 pm 

I thought all advisories and fails had to quite the clause......

WR400F..Gone for a song.
CRF250L now on the lanes.
Novice off roader for years

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 pm 
80 cc

It keeps VOSA happy because it shows that the MOT station notices things on machines that are being tested. If every bike is pass, pass, pass, etc then they would be around to inspect the MOT tester to ensure that the job is being carried as prescribed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 pm 
200 cc

cjon h wrote:
It keeps VOSA happy because it shows that the MOT station notices things on machines that are being tested. If every bike is pass, pass, pass, etc then they would be around to inspect the MOT tester to ensure that the job is being carried as prescribed.

I'm sure you are right. advisories often serve a useful purpose for the owner but they also sometimes seem to have random things written on them!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next