TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Which single bike trailer?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:37 pm 
80 cc

Would you advise a Dave Cooper collapsible or Erde PM310 for KTM 690 towing behind Discovery? Collapsible has obvious storage advantages (which I like) but is it a compromised trailer compared to Erde which appears better designed? I have a horse box but its a pain to use and park because of its size. Would one hold its value better than the other as am sure I'll sell it again in a year or two?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before but I couldn't find a thread along the same lines. Any advice welcome.

Post subject: Which single bike trailer?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:09 pm 
125cc

I used a Motolug trailer for a while until I got my truck, worked well for me..http://www.motolug.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Which single bike trailer?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:41 am 
80 cc

Blobby wrote:
Would you advise a Dave Cooper collapsible or Erde PM310 for KTM 690 towing behind Discovery? Collapsible has obvious storage advantages (which I like) but is it a compromised trailer compared to Erde which appears better designed? I have a horse box but its a pain to use and park because of its size. Would one hold its value better than the other as am sure I'll sell it again in a year or two?

Sorry if this has been asked many times before but I couldn't find a thread along the same lines. Any advice welcome.

I use the Dave Cooper lateral bike rack to good effect, and your Discovery will have a similar noseweight to my Grand Cherokee I imagine and depending therefore on your choice of bike, could carry the weight. I ride an XR400.

I think the KTM690 could well be likely too heavy - but in case you were to think about an alternative bike I thought I would post the options anyway - forgive me if its not suitable and your bike choice is fixed/you've bought it.

For noseweight you may well be familiar but if unsure have a read of this:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1235 ... mo__2_.pdf

Its caravan club but very informative and helpful. :roll: :roll:

It does require a level of fitness and strength to get it onto the rack (or friends).

However, if I had my purchasing time over again I might well buy one of these:

http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Non-Lift-Scooter-Rack.

Again, it can carry the weight if your Discovery can and allows you to use the engine to drive the bike up a ramp. Easier loading.

Main benefits are no towing so you can easily drive to location and the Dave Cooper rack demounts and slips into the back of the Jeep in seconds, the Easylifter stays bolted on I think.

Worth considering.

Ohh - and if you sell the Easylifter in a year or two - give me a shout! :D :D :D

Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:52 am 
80 cc

Hi Stuart.

Thanks for all the info. Those racks are great and I've had one before but the KTM 690 and bike rack combined well exceed the Disco's 150kg nose weight plus the end of the handlebars touch the glass rear windscreen which is an accident waiting to happen. A rack was my preferred original choice due to its simplicity (albeit 690 is v heavy to lift on ones own). I also discussed options with Dave Cooper and he said I'd have to have a trailer for the 690 for the same reasons.

Hi Paul.

Motolug is a bit too expensive for my very occasional needs albeit a very accomplished bit of kit. Your video about it was very informative. I envy you the truck. The look on my wife's face when I suggested I might sell the Disco and buy a VW 4x4 van ended that line of investigation very quickly!

Thanks.

Philip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:30 pm 
80 cc

There's a good trailer for sale here :

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/bikes-bits-sa ... ost4770202

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:22 pm 
300 cc

Hi Philip

I had a ERDE PM310 trailer and was very pleased with it.

I swapped over to the Dave Cooper collapsible for 2 reasons:-

1. Easier to store in the garage - this was the main reason.

2. Reasonably quick to unbolt and pop in to the back of car for security when out riding.

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:28 pm 
80 cc

LILY wrote:
Hi Philip

I had a ERDE PM310 trailer and was very pleased with it.

I swapped over to the Dave Cooper collapsible for 2 reasons:-

Steve

Hi Steve. That's very helpful thanks. Is there any downside to the Dave Cooper over the Erde as if they are almost identical in terms of performance I'll probably get the DC for the same reasons as you swapped to it.

Many thanks.

Philip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:36 pm 
300 cc

Attachment:
Trailer.jpg
Trailer.jpg [ 137.82 KiB | Viewed 12736 times ]
Blobby wrote:

Hi Steve. That's very helpful thanks. Is there any downside to the Dave Cooper over the Erde as if they are almost identical in terms of performance I'll probably get the DC for the same reasons as you swapped to it.

Many thanks.

Philip

Hi Philip

A couple of minor points

The number plate / lighting needs to be removed every time to load / unload the bike. I guess a work around could be achieved by somehow attaching it below the rear of the frame. But it really does only take seconds with a few small friction buckle straps and velcro ties.

The ERDE has much better tie down points. I think it has 6. 2 at the front, 2 at the rear and 2 in the middle.
The DC has 2 in the middle and 2 at the front. But the front ones aren't very far forward. I use 2 straps from the pegs and 2 straps from the frame.

As I say .....very minor points.

Also, you may have noticed I added a little jockey wheel. It's very handy for parking the trailer in the garage all loaded up and ready to go. DC sells a little ramp with it as an extra. It's worth buying if you don't already have one.

BTW When it's all dismantled it fits in the emtpy space with the step ladders.

In the image it looks a bit rusty at the back, it's def just a reflection.

Cheers

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:43 pm 
80 cc

Wow, a tidy garage and you can actually see the floor, unlike mine. Nice bike too.

Thanks for all the additional info. Sounds like this DC trailer is the way to go and interesting to see how you've strapped your bike on. Never thought about the convenience of a front jockey wheel.

Very helpful.

Cheers.

Philip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:33 pm 
200 cc

I've used a DC collapsible trailer for a few years, towed by a Fiat Panda. As the car was left parked with the trailer attached I locked the trailer to the car with a cable and lock. As the car was so small (and I couldn't be bothered taking it apart) I never stored the trailer in the car.
I liked the collapsible side of it as I could remove the back section and store it easily as well as getting it through a tight doorway at home.
I bought the trailer second hand so it's well over 3 years old. I've now got a van that I use for transporting the bike but I won't be selling the trailer yet. It's so easy to store away in the dry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next