TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM TURNING OFF ENGINE.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:26 pm 
80 cc

The ignition switch has suddenly stopped turning off the engine HONDA CRF230F, everything else dies but not the engine. I am baffled as I don’t think it’s the switch as its turns the lights off. I have listed the symptoms hoping somebody will have an idea of the problem or suggest anything else I can try.

• I can turn off the ignition switch and the electrics (lights/horn) turn off but not the engine.
• The engine will stop using the kill switch but not with the ignition key switch. It starts as normal with the ignition switch ON (it doesn’t start with ignition off)
There are 4 wires from the ignition switch
• RED – Positive in to switch from battery (don’t think its this as it’s a live feed)
• BLACK – Positive to the starter button.(don’t think its this as the lights are tapped off and its dead when the ignition switch is turned off)
• GREEN – Clutch switch ( I think this goes to earth but has been joined to the GREEN/RED to earth??)
• BLACK/WHITE – engine stop button (this button works so the feed must earth and so is working.
Any help gratefully received.

Post subject: Re: IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM TURNING OFF ENGINE.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:59 pm 
300 cc

The ignition switch is just a switch from two wires at connector under tank, a male and female they connect to run which is what the key switch does, I have attached a wiring diagram to help. when they are open circuit it switches off
Attachment:
CRF230FWiringDiagram.jpg
CRF230FWiringDiagram.jpg [ 256.27 KiB | Viewed 8704 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:24 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

I note that you have lights fitted so I suspect that your bike will be different to the loom above. Are they genuine Honda or after market items?

Not sure but I think that the red feed is from the ignition control module and that it should not be directly connected to the green as that should go to other isolator switches and to earth!

The implication is that if the switch was working before and now is not, then the switch would be the logical problem or the lead that should earth out the ignition from the switch. I will go away and give it some more thought unless somebody else comes along with actual product knowledge. Try to get hold of the exact wiring diagram for your particular model as they often vary in subtle ways especially if accessories such as lights; indicators and horn are fitted.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:02 am 
125cc

Hi
I would suggest the Green coming out of your Ignition Control Module has either been pulled out or got rusty and stopped conducting.

Kind regards
Ady

Post subject: IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM TURNING OFF ENGINE.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:29 am 
300 cc

I'd guess the ignition switch isn't making the contact between green/black&white.
I seem to recall some bikes ignition switches were prone to melting inside especially if lights are perm on. I'd take ign switch off or unplug it and test continuity between green wire and black n white wire. Should be open circuit when switch is on and closed circuit when off. You should also find perm 12v+ at red wire and switched 12v at black wire. Green should have continuity with earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:31 am 
650 cc Monster

Location: great er manchester seeing the light through the pouring rain
I would say it's either the the ignition switch or the bl/w or g wires coming from the ignition switch imho :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:14 am 
300 cc

Your lights are probably wired of Batt2 on ign switch so get pos to light switch when switched key on, that's how mine are and your lights work ok. They never had light from build so lights are always retro fit. The engine is not stopping on key, then either the E terminal is not going to earth or the IG terminal is not connecting to E when switch is in off position(switch failed)
Mine failed the other way and would switch off itself, the plastic fixed plug on back of the switch when moved about would reconnect.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:17 pm 
80 cc

Thanks for the replies, my lights come off Bat 2 or the BLACK wire. It cant cut the power supply to the spark plug as the BLACK wire is dead when the switch is turned off.

I don't know how the engine is turned off, from the replies - it would appear the GREEN should go to earth and kill the engine. So I could attach a wire from the frame to the green - is that correct - it should then die when the switch is turned off?

(I have taken the kill switch apart and it has 3 wires from it and not the 2 as per circuit diagram, one of them isn't connected to anything - is that a red herring or should that go somewhere?)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:44 pm 
300 cc

don't worry about third wire on kill switch as your kill switch works.
Yes the key switch puts the Ign wire Black with white to earth via the key switch to the Green wire to earth, stopping the engine.
try a wire from the green at the plug on ign switch to a good earth.
Do you have a multi meter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:49 pm 
80 cc

Yes I have a multi meter - so should there be continuity between the GREEN and earth at all times?

Also if I check for continuity between the BLACK/WHITE and GREEN --there should be when the switch turns off--is that correct?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next