TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Serow Suspension Linkage
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:09 pm 
125cc

I got an MOT advisory re the bottom bush, having removed the linkage the main bush is u/s, the other bearings/bushes aren't brilliant either including the main swing arm. Having priced all the parts up and then picked my self up off the floor I began wondering what my options are - it looks like genuine Yamaha is my only option - unless you know otherwise. I also managed to break the bolt that holds the linkage to the swing arm.....£12.00 for a bl**dy bolt!!! I am from Yorkshire btw.

Any help/suggestions appreciated, possibly looking at second hand complete linkage from the USA.

Thanks in advance
Richard

Post subject: Serow Suspension Linkage
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 pm 
300 cc

Do not under any circumstances buy "all balls kits" they are cheap crap often don't fit correctly.

Source the bearing numbers and buy skf or brand bearings from a bearing shop. Then see if a local engineering company can re make the bushes or bite the bullet and buy genuine bushes.

Bolt will be hardened special one. Don't think any old bolts will do or you may be pulling the shock out of your butt when they fail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Serow Suspension Linkage
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:43 pm 
300 cc

To replace your bolt you just need size and thread pitch and select the correct grade, which should be marked on the original. Purchase from a bolt supplier will be cheaper than OE
Attachment:
bolt grades.jpg
bolt grades.jpg [ 68.46 KiB | Viewed 7169 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:54 pm 
650 cc Monster

smokinrider wrote:
Do not under any circumstances buy "all balls kits" they are cheap crap often don't fit correctly.

Source the bearing numbers and buy skf or brand bearings from a bearing shop. Then see if a local engineering company can re make the bushes or bite the bullet and buy genuine bushes.

Bolt will be hardened special one. Don't think any old bolts will do or you may be pulling the shock out of your butt when they fail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd agree with the Allballs comment...their KTM fork seals certainly don't fit.

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 pm 
200 cc

You learn something every day ! I always wonderd what the numbers were on bolt heads ,now i know ,and i call myself an an engineer ! Cheers Julian East Yorks TRF :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

If I might add that you ensure that there is a plain section to correspond with the internal length between the outside of the two lugs also that you use a positive locking method such as a new nyloc nylon insert lock nut.

TTFN

Hugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]