TRF Forums

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Bike rack, probably been asked before
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 am 
125cc

I like the idea of a bike rack over a trailer. Easy to store when not in use etc etc. You see them used on all types of bikes trail, trial, motocross, grass track etc etc. Yet I'm sure I've heard people say a tow bar is really for towing and can pull a large weight but the downward force a tow bar should really take is a lot less than a bike. If this is true why are they made ?

Cheers Joe.

Sent from my Bush 5" Android using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Bike rack, probably been asked before
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:29 am 
125cc

Depends what vehicle; have a look at the specs for maximum trailer nose weight.

You could go a bit over that if you can get some straps back to the car to stop the bike wobbling. To be honest though on some cars, even an ickle trials bike will twist the towbar quite alarmingly if you rock it about.

I put a DRZ on a Dave Cooper rack on the back of my tranny just for shits and giggles and it was OK but a trailer is easier. I've made some legs with wheels that allow me to stand the trailer on it's side a wheel it down into a narrow space in my bike store.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:54 am 
650 cc Monster

On most cars the max trailer trailer nose weight is only 90 kg or so.

Add the wet weight of the bike and the weight of the rack together and you are probably over that by about 40 kg!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 am 
125cc

That's what I thought yet they are still sold.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:05 pm 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

Richard, do you have any photos of your trailer on its side wheels please as I thought about that idea some time ago. Problem is that I have a three bike trailer so it might be too heavy :idea:

Most modern trials bikes weigh less than 70kgs so they are fine on the Cooper spectacle frame bars, I regular used to haul my sons Gas Gas around on one without any problems, http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks

Watling Engineers make a motorcycle rack which is claimed to take 130Kgs, as does the Dave Cooper;

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorb ... rrier.html

I used to have one of their tow bars on my XJ and it was a well made piece of kit, expensive but worth every penny.

Always double check with the manufacturers before making a purchase.

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:22 pm 
400 cc

Richard Simpson wrote:
On most cars the max trailer trailer nose weight is only 90 kg or so.

Add the wet weight of the bike and the weight of the rack together and you are probably over that by about 40 kg!

My Hilux has a noseweight of 125kg, subtract 10kg for a rack as a minimum and unless my bike weighs 115 kg fuelled & full of oil/water & muddy then even I'm over weight

Normal car = No chance

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm 
650 cc Monster

Look up your vehicle's Max TNW here:

http://www.uktow.com/towing%20capacity.asp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:21 pm 
650 cc Monster

Hugh Cleary wrote:
Greetings,

Richard, do you have any photos of your trailer on its side wheels please as I thought about that idea some time ago. Problem is that I have a three bike trailer so it might be too heavy :idea:

Most modern trials bikes weigh less than 70kgs so they are fine on the Cooper spectacle frame bars, I regular used to haul my sons Gas Gas around on one without any problems, http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike-racks/motorcycle-racks

Watling Engineers make a motorcycle rack which is claimed to take 130Kgs, as does the Dave Cooper;

http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/motorb ... rrier.html

I used to have one of their tow bars on my XJ and it was a well made piece of kit, expensive but worth every penny.

Always double check with the manufacturers before making a purchase.

TTFN

Hugh.

Hi Hugh,

It was Colin who had the trailer...I usually ride my bike from home or hire a van if the distance is too much.

Remember that it's not the capacity of the rack that's in question here, it's the ability of the car to deal with it.

Old-school RWD cars managed better than FWD one do in my experience.

All the best

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 pm 
300 cc

Joe110 wrote:
I like the idea of a bike rack over a trailer. Easy to store when not in use etc etc. You see them used on all types of bikes trail, trial, motocross, grass track etc etc. Yet I'm sure I've heard people say a tow bar is really for towing and can pull a large weight but the downward force a tow bar should really take is a lot less than a bike. If this is true why are they made ?

Cheers Joe.

Hi Joe

Yep - the discussion does come up from time to time.

And yes the nose weight is the contentious issue with bike racks.

Here's some of the past threads I've managed to dig out

Cheers

Steve

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20825&hilit=rack&start=10
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5922&hilit=+rack
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19399&hilit=rack&start=10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 am 
125cc

Joe110 wrote:

Cheers Joe.

Hi Joe.

I use a Dave Cooper rack on VW Passat Estate with my KTM 400 exc no problem. Great bit of kit if you don't have the space for a trailer, but yes check nose weight of your car. I called Dave Cooper to confirm my car was suitable and they were very helpfull.

:ugeek:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next