TRF Forums

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: BlUE OIL
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:41 pm 
400 cc

oil :!: bear all your comments in mind :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:16 pm 
650 cc Monster

As Richard said the change in colour is due to the pick up of carbon.

All oils are not the same, there is a range of specification that regulate the minimum standard the oil must meet, however the additional additives can do all sorts of things to prolong engine life and that is why some oils cost more than others.

One of the most serious problems though is when the oil picks up silicon because of poor air filtration, as this then acts as an abrasive and wears out all the moving parts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:10 pm 
125cc

Can you still buy castrol r .I remember it from watching MX in the early 80s maico 490s yz 490s red rockets ,I think we would all like to be back there .what do you think Hugh?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:54 pm 
650 cc Monster

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Class ... 3641.l6368

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:09 am 
125cc

Thanks for the link richard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:05 am 
650 cc Monster

Greetings,

It's so funny to recall things through the sense of smeller perceived sense for that matter.

As the famed American baseball quotemaster Yogi Berra is claimed to have quoted "nostalgia is not what it used to be" :cry:

The smell of Castrol R being emitted down the megaphone of a Norton brings back the 60's when you could just go out and ride your motorcyle, no body bothered you provided you showed respect but in reality I guess that I was still regarded as just a young tearaway.

Castrol R was a great oil in its time in its own way but it had its problems too, it would coagulate if not changed regularly, if you inadvertently mixed even a tiny amount of it with the new fangled multi grade oils it would block the oil ways to seize the engines, with a new engine it would leak past seals until it had built up a layer of shellac, :idea: oh yes it was great stuff :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lubrication is still a nightmare subject and although we tend not to have the leakages we still have the inability for oils to be mixed or incorrect specifications used. There are some engines that must only be run on the manufacturer's specification as anything else will cause failure. So be careful as to what you put in the crankcase or where ever, what works for one may not work for another.

Oh, yes motorcycle oils are different to car oils so don't mix them up, especially if your clutch and gearbox are combined.

Still love that noise and smell though, despite the problems :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:07 pm 
125cc

Mmmmmmmmm ,I could follow that smell all day :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:09 pm 
125cc

Hugh we are showing our age .who Care's at least we've experienced the smell or castrol r

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:41 am 
125cc

Castrol R doesn't smell as strong as years gone by. I think it had something removed from it as it was deemed dangerous, possibly cancerous.

Sent from my Bush 5" Android using Tapatalk

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2